SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

TOTALSV Ireland Forum for SV riders in Ireland

Old 13-01-08, 10:04 PM   #1
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Default Doing a Coastal Tour of Ireland...

Hey all,
I'm doing a coastal tour of Ireland this summer (Early July) and wanted some advice on things like, brilliant "can't miss" roads, those that are terrible and should be avoided, or any other bits of random advice, however small, that you might have
Thank you in advance!
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-08, 10:53 PM   #2
ridelikeaturtle

Default Re: Doing a Coastal Tour of Ireland...

you might get some joy from here, it's probably been asked already: www.biker.ie

You could probably schedule it to start @ mid-May so as to take in the NW200, and you could do Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge.

Otherwise... stay away from the M50!
Old 14-01-08, 12:16 PM   #3
BadDog

I've just got my bike so havn't been up the coast road in anything other than the car - but can't wait to get out on a good day

The coastal route actually starts from the town i live in, Larne and u then head up north to Portrush/portstewart and beyond. The coast road itself is about 60 miles of winding pleasure and there are a few offshoots that'll be a great ride. Hopefully someone who's done it a few times will post with some road names and more specifics =]
Old 14-01-08, 11:59 PM   #4
thebluelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post

You could probably schedule it to start @ mid-May so as to take in the NW200, and you could do Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge.

!
I second that but im not bias me being from the north lol
Old 15-01-08, 08:48 PM   #5
padmane

Have lookie here http://www.bikerroadtrip.com/
Give us all a shout when and where. Perhaps we can all have a ride out and back.
Old 29-03-08, 04:34 AM   #6
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Just to update, we will be in the following places at these days:

Monday 7th: Arriving in Dun Laoghaire in the morning, and sleeping at Cork.

Tuesday 8th: Starting in Cork, ending at Dunquin, Ballyferriter, Tralee, County Kerry.

Wednesday 9th: Starting in Dunquin, ending at Cong, Lisloughrey, Mayo.

Thursday 10th: Starting in Cong, ending at Errigal, Dunlewey, Gweedore, Co. Donegal.

Friday 11th: Starting in Errigal, ending at Belfast.

Saturday 12th: Starting in Belfast, ending at Dublin.

Sunday 13th: Leave Dublin and head home from Dun Laoghaire on a late ferry.

And following as near to the coast as is practical to do so along the way!
Mostly youth hostelling it too to keep the costs down!
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Old 18-05-08, 08:00 AM   #7
Irish_SVS

Hey Steve,

From Cork you should head west towards Adrigole - past Glengariff and then take the Healy Pass from Adrigole to Launagh - real narrow little road through the mountains - 20mph kinda stuff. Will take you through Moll's Gap.

At the top of Moll's Gap you'll come to a kinda t/y junction. Head left towards Sneem and maybe a mile along you'll see a small turn to the right with a sign for a hostel. take this and it'll take you throught the Gap of Dungloe and on towards the Ring of Kerry. Absolutely stunnning again.

Am living in Cork so if you need more info give me a shout or look up Ring of Kerry - lots of sights and photos to whet your appetite.

Enjoy,

Stephen
Irish_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-08, 01:52 AM   #8
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Thanks for the recommendation - the Ring of Kerry was a brilliant part!
Old 14-07-08, 09:23 PM   #9
yvo6

Glad you enjoyed Ireland. I only saw this thread now

I hope it worked out well for you