SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-07, 11:00 AM   #1
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Question Short Newbie

Just signed up to the site so thought that I would introduce myself.

My names Jon, I'm 25 and I live near to London Bridge. Am currently in the throws of fulfilling my ambition of learning to ride and buying a bike and I have my direct access test on the 8th May .

Everyone I know has been telling me that I’m going to kill myself and to avoid bikes at all costs. Having realised that none of them have even been on the back of a bike I have now seen the light! I am also going to be moving down to Maidenhead soon and am using the commute as an excuse to convince my better half to let me get one .

I am looking to buy a fully faired SV650 S cause it seems like an awesome bike, but one concern that I have is that I will be too short. I'm 5f4 so I know that I am not going to flat foot on any sports type bike but would like my toes to hit terra firma without having to lean off the bike. Are there any shorties here that can confirm that this bike will be okay? I have a fairly long body/arms so reaching the handlebars wont be an issue and am no weakling so moving the bike should be ok.

Anyway, if you see any decent bikes around over the next few weeks then give me a shout. Probably wont buy the bike until I have done my test though. Am looking to spend around £2500.
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-07, 11:05 AM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Short Newbie

jon, i don;t think you'll have much of a problem, i'm 5,8 or 5,9 i think and pretty much smothered a curvy when i sat on it, flat feet and bent legs - although i suffer from urangutan syndrome (long arms and legs) - off the top of my head my inside leg is 33" (although i could be wildy out with that) - i'm not anticipating any issues with my 650 when i get on it.
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-07, 11:19 AM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Well as I am not a million miles from you, and can opt to go past London Bridge on the way home from work, if you want the chance to climb all over an SV, let me know and I can meet up with you with my bike.

Its a 2006 pointy tho, which is slightly different height-wise etc than the curvy, tho I think you *should* be able to get a pointy for your budget.

Just let me know - PM or here

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwestuk View Post
Just signed up to the site so thought that I would introduce myself.

My names Jon, I'm 25 and I live near to London Bridge. Am currently in the throws of fulfilling my ambition of learning to ride and buying a bike and I have my direct access test on the 8th May .

Everyone I know has been telling me that I’m going to kill myself and to avoid bikes at all costs. Having realised that none of them have even been on the back of a bike I have now seen the light! I am also going to be moving down to Maidenhead soon and am using the commute as an excuse to convince my better half to let me get one .

I am looking to buy a fully faired SV650 S cause it seems like an awesome bike, but one concern that I have is that I will be too short. I'm 5f4 so I know that I am not going to flat foot on any sports type bike but would like my toes to hit terra firma without having to lean off the bike. Are there any shorties here that can confirm that this bike will be okay? I have a fairly long body/arms so reaching the handlebars wont be an issue and am no weakling so moving the bike should be ok.

Anyway, if you see any decent bikes around over the next few weeks then give me a shout. Probably wont buy the bike until I have done my test though. Am looking to spend around £2500.
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-07, 11:33 AM   #4
Kate

Hi Jon,

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I'm 5'2" short with an inside leg measurment of 26/27". Its more to do with the inside leg measurement than your height btw. The lowest SVs are the curvey ones but the pointies are not much taller. The tallest is the pointy K3, K4 onwards are slightly shorter but there really isn't much in it.

I had the K3 (yes I'm short and I got the tallest) and I lowered my sv - dropped the forks, changed the pre-load on the back, had longer dogbones and a lowered seat.

Tbh, you are that bit taller than me so you probably won't have to do all that, but if you do decide you want it lower than standard then there are plenty of options available to you.

HTH
Old 25-04-07, 11:35 AM   #5
tricky

My brother is 5'4".
He has had a couple of SV's without any problem.

Go to a dealers and have sit on one, although I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 25-04-07, 11:36 AM   #6
krhall

I'm only 5'8" and my pointy SV650s is comfortable for me.

I'm only down in Greenwich if you really wanted to have a sit on it and my bike would almost be in your budget range. Although having seen SoulKiss's post I don't think you'll need to venture down to Greenwich, as there is little difference in dimensions between my K3 and the K5.

Well at least I don't think there is.

I might also be looking at selling mine in the next few weeks (possibly).
Old 25-04-07, 11:37 AM   #7
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

according to the first few sites i've seen the curvy seat height is 805mm for all years...

not sure about the K3 but the current SV650 on suzuki-gb.co.uk has a seat height listed as 800mm, so the current pointys are lower shirley?

edit: further research gives the K3 seat height as 810mm - can you tell it's a bit slow in the office today?

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 25-04-07 at 11:43 AM.
Old 25-04-07, 11:46 AM   #8
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Wow you guys are obviously as busy as I am! Such quick responses. Cant wait to start riding. Got my CBT on Saturday and the Direct access over the following bank holiday weekend.

Might take one of you up on your offers of a trial seat - but will most likely wait until next week or the week after. Hmm - I might check the carpark where I work for SV's as someone might have one there!

Have also just seen the details about AE07 and must say that I am tempted!
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-07, 11:50 AM   #9
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwestuk View Post
Wow you guys are obviously as busy as I am! Such quick responses. Cant wait to start riding. Got my CBT on Saturday and the Direct access over the following bank holiday weekend.
crikey...

i did my CBT last weekend, got my theory this evening, considering doing training/test over the next few weeks and i thought i was doing it quickly

have you done your theory yet? you have to retake it (including the silly hazard perception bit) even if you have a full car license
Old 25-04-07, 11:51 AM   #10
hovis

i have a 650s curvey & im the same hieght & i can get both feet flat on the floor

HTH