SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-09-06, 09:24 AM   #1
JakeRS

Default Car insurance for 19 year old

Hi guys and girls

I'm taking driving lessons at the moment so hopefully I wont have to ride in the crappy english weather again this winter!

I've been doing insurance quotes on the sort of car I'll be looking for (old fiesta or something like that worth £500ish!!!) and all the quotes I do I think the best was £1236...

I'm 19, male, living in a low-ish risk area, with car on driveway.

Any tips on getting some cheaper insurance?

Also I had a fault accident on my bike last year, but as yet nothing has come through regarding the claim against me, ie no charge for excess (damage to the other vehicle) and no caution from the police which was supposed to be happening. Should I declare this as a claim on my quotes seeing as I have nothing to go on saying that I have a claim against me?

Help very much appreciated!

Jake
Old 03-09-06, 07:29 PM   #2
BigDog

Go and buy a what car book and look up insurance groups, pick a gp 1 or 2. Or if you want something bigger get a pug 306 deisel, they seem to be cheap even though it is a group 9 i think. That is what my son was going to get untill he blew all his money on cr@p.
Old 03-09-06, 07:47 PM   #3
El Saxo

Is that fully comp or TPFT?

If the car's only worth £500 then it isn't worth going FC cos you'll probably have an excess of about £300-400 anyway...

TPFT might be cheaper if you haven't tried already.

Another thing you can try is adding a parent as a 2nd driver, if they've never had an accident it could work out cheaper - mine was almost £100 cheaper just because i added my mum as a named driver!

Oh and try confused.com - the TV ads are bloody annoying but it does save a lot of time.
Old 03-09-06, 07:54 PM   #4
MidgetMoose

my car insuraance was about 1k when i was 19 but i got quoted over 4k for some. Best idea is named driver my mate paid 200 for his dad and then about 300ish for him to be a named driver i think. Only problem is you don't get any no claims building up.

My bike insurance is still 800 cheaper than my car was though
Old 03-09-06, 08:14 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetMoose
my car insuraance was about 1k when i was 19 but i got quoted over 4k for some. Best idea is named driver my mate paid 200 for his dad and then about 300ish for him to be a named driver i think. Only problem is you don't get any no claims building up.
What you do get is some years for "holding a licence" which seems to mean something for some reason
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 09:37 PM   #6
kwak zzr

this is why youngsters are driving without insurance, its cheaper to pay the fine when you get caught. a young man 17 or 18 years old by me has just had a loan for his insurance £2200 for a R reg Clio
Old 03-09-06, 10:17 PM   #7
Davido

My insurance on my corsa was £1199 tpft. It might go down a little when I actually pass my test.

Buy the lowest engine size available. Don't drive it and work up some ncb. Put yourself on a parent's policy. It helps a lot. (didn't do that for me though)
Old 03-09-06, 10:30 PM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

Age 20 years.
Old 04-09-06, 01:06 AM   #9
james160987

age 17 got insurance on corsa 1.4 on provisional lience- 980 pound
this year full lience 495 pound

tpft

with norwich union, RAC also seemed good for me
Old 04-09-06, 07:40 AM   #10
Red ones
Mega Poster

These figures are CONSIDERABLY higher than the life insurance policy I have!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote