SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-06, 09:00 AM   #1
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Noisy K3

Okay, I'm going to have to admit defeat here. My K3 (8500 miles) seems to have got very noisy recently - Most notably a tapping from the top of the front cyclinder from the rocker cover. It only seems to happen once the engine has warmed up to 'normal' operating temperature for a while. The bike is running fine, I'm just a liitle worried that it could develop. I have recently done a lot of service bits and pieces - some because they were due, others because of this rattle. These are:

New oil + filter.
Throttle Bodies sync.
Cleaned, re-lubed and adjusted sprockets and chain.
Rebuilt cam chain tensioners. <---Before you all shout!
Checked valve clearances (all good, though they were at the bottom end of tolerance).

I have had a search - one person replaced their cam chains as they had been stretched (and that was a K4), but I can't see it stretching that much that the tensioner can't pick up the slack. Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas other than living with it. Someone also mentioned that K3's are noisier than other pointies, though I can't see the logic behind that.

So - does anyone have other ideas on what it might be? Or is it really just one of those things that you have to live with? Main reason for asking is that I'm wondering whether to take it to a garage and let a more experienced ear have a listen - but don't want to get into the thing where they are charging me for labour to take things apart to try and diagnose the problem, and then charge me more labour and parts to fix it!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-06, 11:32 AM   #2
kwak zzr

when an engine runns in they do get quite alot louder, remember you are sitting on top of it and you will hear every noise, stick some ear plugs in its cheaper.
Old 25-09-06, 06:37 PM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

You know what Kwak, your right! Riding home tonight - The bike was absolutely spot on! Sounded and felt smooth, speed and rpm in each gear matched what I expect (It was revving a little too much for a while for a given speed). Stopped at the lights and there is the tapping/rattle.

Sod it - i'll live with it!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-06, 07:09 PM   #4
kwak zzr

mine has done 6.5k and ive noticed the same rattling noises.
Old 25-09-06, 07:47 PM   #5
Apophes

my k5 makes a daft ticking noise when warm only noticable when you tilt your head a little.

the green foam ear plugs sorted that out