SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-17, 09:28 PM   #1
russell664

Default RE: SV650 Stock Undertray not fitting right

Hi All,

Probably me being a noob, I don;t have a picture to show you all, but I recently got a new under tray as mine go cut up - as far as i'm aware the 00 - 02 under trays are all the same?

Anyway, all of the screws lined up as expected, I have tighten them all down too. However, the rear light (Which hasn't been taken off) isn't flush with the new under tray like it was before.
There is at least a 1cm gap - of which you can see the ECU through it, the fairings won't fit over either as they screw onto the stock under tray.
I can't seem to find any notes of how to fit it on the service manual - any idea why there is such a gap?

The part numbers all seem to match up, I have looked at the under tray to make sure not wires are caught, but everything seems flush, apart from the rear light unit!

Would anyone be able to take a picture of how their stock under tray lines up, especially on the last two bolts on the back?
I hope I have missed something obvious, but can't seem to see it! Any help is greatly appreciated, I want to get the bike back together, finally.
russell664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 09:53 PM   #2
russell664

Default Re: SV650 Stock Undertray not fitting right

I think this might be in the wrong place - could an admin please move the thread to Bikes - Talk & Issues?
Old 16-01-17, 08:19 AM   #3
russell664

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell664 View Post
I think this might be in the wrong place - could an admin please move the thread to Bikes - Talk & Issues?
I'll pop some pictures up later- i'm going to have a play around with it later too, but again, all of the screw holes line up with not forcing just like it should, yet there is a big gap below the brake light.
Old 16-01-17, 09:21 AM   #4
jagryan85

You are not alone! I replaced the rear undertray unit because someone had butchered it to try and make a tail tidy. Replaced with stock and I also have a 1-2cm gap under the rear light! I've tried pulling the light down a little but there is still a noticable and annoying gap. You can just make it out on the photo, best I have got until I can take another one later. Watching with interest!

Ryan

Old 16-01-17, 09:32 AM   #5
russell664

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagryan85 View Post
You are not alone! I replaced the rear undertray unit because someone had butchered it to try and make a tail tidy. Replaced with stock and I also have a 1-2cm gap under the rear light! I've tried pulling the light down a little but there is still a noticeable and annoying gap. You can just make it out on the photo, best I have got until I can take another one later. Watching with interest!

Ryan

I'm glad it isn't only me with an issue with it. I have looked at the part numbers and they all match up - there was a new part number in 2001 - but they all go on 99-02 bikes. Odd. Yours looks exactly the same as mine, I presume that you can see the inside of the bike if you look through the hole?

I am going to take it off later, and start the screws from the back to the front. I noticed some flex in the tray, so could be bent out of shape toward the bottom, meaning the back end is brought down. If that doesn't work, I looked the screws on the back, and you can pull it up, so I figure, if you widen the holes at the back of the tray so you can screw it in the way it was before.

My issue is, with the gap, I can't get the fairings screwed over the top! they look silly, my old under tray was perfect, kinda wish I didn't mess with it - but you have the learn somehow I guess.
Old 16-01-17, 09:41 AM   #6
jagryan85

Yes you can see right through it! All the screw holes line up for all the fairings, and everything is tightened up, but still the gap! Might have a fiddle with it later - one of us will find the problem!

Ryan
Old 16-01-17, 10:47 AM   #7
russell664

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagryan85 View Post
Yes you can see right through it! All the screw holes line up for all the fairings, and everything is tightened up, but still the gap! Might have a fiddle with it later - one of us will find the problem!

Ryan
I have had a quick chat with my local friendly breakers, and he has confirmed that the part numbers are also the same - I have been cheeky and asked if I can borrow another under tray tonight to see if they are exactly the same, as the one I have to compare it to is cut up. Fingers crossed that I can get another one to play with tonight.

It just seems odd, he asked me about the legs etc.. and they are all there. I'll take some pictures for this thread and the breakers later - it just seems odd. I'm thinking if the tabs on the end of the under tray go the left on the inside, and the right on the outside to bring it up - or if it slots underneath the screw holes further down or something.

In all honesty, while a small issue it is really annoying!
Old 16-01-17, 11:30 AM   #8
jagryan85

That's what I'm thinking. I think the tray bolts on top of the frame, and not underneath it. Until I see I can't say, but the frame thickness would account for the gap underneath the light

Ryan
Old 16-01-17, 03:17 PM   #9
russell664

Okay bad news - no other under tray from the breakers, they couldn't find one. However, I believe mine is OEM, as the screws fit up fine.

I believe that there are screws holes on the top of the frame further back, but not at the bottom near the battery box.

When would you be able to have a gander Ryan? I should be able to make a start at about 5 ish.
Old 16-01-17, 05:03 PM   #10
jagryan85

Right, a better pic here. I can't start tinkering until the kids tea has been cooked and settled (house rules I'm afraid, since I'm the chef. Trust me, I wouldn't even trust her to make a packet of super noodles!)

Will start getting down to it after 6

Ryan

Last edited by jagryan85; 16-01-17 at 07:21 PM.