SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

For Sale - SV's and SV related items For SV's and SV spare parts only. 650 or 1000 No other items Unsanctioned trade ads will be deleted as will spam and chat.

Old 04-02-20, 12:10 PM   #1
DCB

Default Flywheel lightening

Hi there,
Been a member for a while,and have used various bits and pieces from different sources to modify my sv650....thankyou . As I snapped crank at flywheel last year,is anyone still doing or know of anyone lightening flywheel? It's a 1st generation 2001 model,and it's used on the road so wish to keep some charging.
Sorry if this is a zombie thread, but I'd rather not snap another crank 😕.... thanks for any information,
Dave

Ps email is fastdinger@hotmail.com
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 01:23 AM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Flywheel lightening

I don't know if anyone is still doing lightened flywheels on here any more, but might be worth messaging millemille just in case, I got mine from him.

However I've not heard of a 2001 model having a crank snap at the flywheel, I've only really heard about it on the K3 models. Have you got any more detail as to what you're running, pictures of the damage and such?

But out of interest, once you have a lightened flywheel what else are you going to be doing, replacing a crank is not a quick or cheap job?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 06:50 AM   #3
DCB

Hi Squirrel, I cheated, I bought a complete s/h engine for £250....only 20k on clock (ain't they all ��), came with generator etc too! But the front exhaust pipe had been cut 12in down, and sent.. can see why, right ******* to get out. I am about to strip old engine as gearbox, clutch,barrel and pistons,heads,and cases etc are in good condition. I will take some pics when I get home of damage. To be fair, the sv had taken a real hammering all summer,and I've seen on forums this kinda damage is not uncommon. I will msg millie later see if he can....company in wootton basset that does this want £430! Sorry, too much ��
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 01:04 AM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Yeah easiest would be just to swap the engines over rather then replacing the crank and anything else thats needed. And yeah cutting the front pipe happens quite a lot with these engines when bought as a replacement.

Ouch £430 is a chunk of money, I'd be looking around the £150 mark. Out of interest when you want to lighten it, what sort of process are you looking at? Removing the outside or reducing the number of magnets?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote