SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-02-20, 04:53 PM   #1
tojo82

Question Rhs indicators not working help

Hi all I have fully brought back a bike sat for 2 years apart from the right hand side indicators not working at all. When I use the turn switch it has a really fast pulsing on the dash but when I press the hazards button it flashes normally yet no lights are working. I've taken apart the switches on the front and given then a clean and a little wd40 that has not rectified the issue. Should I replace the relay before having to delve deeper into the electrics? Any advice would be great. Oh I should say there appears to be power going to the bulbs voltmeter showing around 6? I am not really skilled just systematically follow the Haynes manual.
tojo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 11:43 PM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rhs indicators not working help

Have you checked the block connector in the front of the nose fairing? The one that the screen funnels water into.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 12:35 AM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So I've had a similar issue with indicators on a bike that had been sitting for a while. This was a 99 SV, I suspect based on the hazard button that this is a later model SV, but the process I would follow would be the same to eliminate the problem. Additionally though I'm not a expert in motorcycle electrics but getting 6v at the bulb doesn't sound right as from memory they are 12v bulbs. However I suspect corrosion will be the answer.

So what should we do...

Firstly the battery, is it fully charged? Lets assume yes.

Secondly is it something simple like a blown bulb? You say the left works fine, so swap the bulbs over. You may need the dexterity that can only be gained with the hands of a 4 year old, but stick at it.

Next assuming the bulbs check out, in that the bulbs from the right work on the left and the bulbs from the left don't work on the right I would look at the indicator units. Swap them over in the whole like the bulbs. Some disassembly will be required. This rules out the units.

While doing this inspect everything for damage and corrosion. Also the use of WD40 on connectors is encouraged as this is what I think will be your issue. If we assume it all worked before the bike was parked up corrosion is really the only thing that can set in.

Now if you still have no luck you'll need to work back through the loom, check where the indicator unit goes in, and in short where it comes out. This will be basically at the switch. Check the switch. Unplug clean and reattach. Next using a voltmeter check for continuity in its various positions.

If that all checks out go for continuity at the relay, unplug, clean and reattach.

This is all free stuff, you just need to spend a bit of time going through things methodically cleaning and testing. Do all of this before you start spending money on relays. Give it a go and report back.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 10:38 PM   #4
tojo82

Perfect thank you. It was all actually working last week? I have a new bulb in them and a new battery. Will follow your plan this week
tojo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 08:34 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The flash rate of a thermal flash device depends on current being drawn by 2x 21 watt bulbs ( about 3.5 amps ) if one bulb blows the flash rate goes haywire... so if anything stop current flowing the flash rate will be wrong.

So as suggested by others you are looking for a dodgy connection causing high resistance.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote