SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-05-20, 01:34 PM   #1
Lgarton99

Default Dropped SV and Issues

Hi all,

I'm new here so take it gently! I passed my A2 test in February and bought a lightly used SV650s K6 with a throttle restriction.

Being in lockdown, I haven't had loads of time to still get used to the bike but today I took it out to deliver some paperwork for the NHS and ended up slipping out on some gravel whilst doing a U-turn

The bike landed on the exhaust side, threw petrol over the place and whilst I got out from underneath it it cut itself. Once upright it said CHEC on the dash but started ok and had no warning lights on. It rode ok on the way home but I thought it sounded slightly noisier than usual but I'm not sure if thats just me being nervous after dropping it.

Would dropping it and then the bike killing itself run anything out of oil quick enough to do any significant damage internally? The oil level is all ok and theres no more leaks/ warning lights but in my head I'm sure it sounded ever so slightly louder so I just wanted to pick everyones brains just so I know it should all be ok internally!

Cheers guys,
Lloyd
Lgarton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 02:47 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dropped SV and Issues

It might have knocked one of the exhaust clamps a little loose or damaged the can in some way. Start it up and put your hand over the exhaust and see if you hear any leaks
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 06:23 PM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

CHEC may be the tip switch cutting out the electircs. Same as if you use the kill switch.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 07:41 PM   #4
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
CHEC may be the tip switch cutting out the electircs. Same as if you use the kill switch.
Yep, bikes have a tipover switch which cuts the power when the bike is on it's side. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to reset after you set it upright. You also need to check all the usual suspects.

So check the cutoff switch, clutch switch, and side-stand switch. Give it five minutes for tipover switch, then check it's in neutral and thumb the start button.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 10:41 PM   #5
Lgarton99

Cheers guys for the info. The CHEC did reset all ok and the bike starts fine. I couldn't hear any exhaust leaks when I put my hand over the exhaust. A new indicator is on order for it now, I'm just slightly worried the engine may have been damaged internally whilst it run on its side for a moment before the tilt switch kicked in.
CHeers all,
Lloyd
Old 09-05-20, 06:39 AM   #6
keith_d
Mega Poster

Shouldn't be a problem. The tipover switch will have stopped it before the lack of oil caused any problems. The SV engine is pretty robust too.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 11:49 AM   #7
PotatoSV

Well I went on a holiday for about two weeks when I came back my bike was on its side flooded with water. I put it back on its wheels and left it like that for about two days then I changed the battery since it was a dead lost cause, I turned it on and then it turned on almost instantly I am amazed how good these bikes are. So dont worry your bike is fine, what year is it btw?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
PotatoSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 08:13 AM   #8
Lgarton99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoSV View Post
Well I went on a holiday for about two weeks when I came back my bike was on its side flooded with water. I put it back on its wheels and left it like that for about two days then I changed the battery since it was a dead lost cause, I turned it on and then it turned on almost instantly I am amazed how good these bikes are. So dont worry your bike is fine, what year is it btw?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Its a 2006 half-faired and had 9377 miles on it when I bought it in January It was stored outside for a little bit of its life so it wants a bit of tarting up but nothing too major