SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-20, 11:28 AM   #1
Sean_Morgan

Default Paddock stand

Today's little question ...
The bike came to me with bobbins already fitted and they are something ive never had anything to do with, my 125 and my ER both had centre stands.
So, could someone kindly recommend a reasonably (not necessarily the cheapest) priced paddock stand
Thanks
Sean

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sean_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 11:34 AM   #2
aj76

Default Re: Paddock stand

I got this one https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/warr...hookkit-e-akn/

They had an offer last year with the headstock stand as well for £60 but that doesn't seem to be available anymore was really good deal.

Had a cheap rear stand a relative for me for my 40th before and that one is so much easier to get the bike up on, especially on your own

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 11:43 AM   #3
Grant66

Abba - will last a lifetime and lifts without loading the swingarm enabling maintenance on rear suspension and swingarm bearings etc. Relatively easy to raise front end too if you need to work at that end.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 12:03 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Abba stands are good but for me they are a bit much for just basic chain maintenance etc

I've got one like this. It is more stable than my old tube style one, has smooth rolling wheels and once you set the width of the hooks it stays in that position.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ent_prod/92414
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 09:15 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

ABBA with swingarm removal bobbins. i keep the bobbins on the bike permanently. i can have my bike up on the stand within a 1 min and no fear of dropping it. i hated doing the paddock stand shuffle.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 03:02 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Abba stand with front lift kit.......... get both wheels off the ground at same time, and leaves the actual wheel areas free of 'stand paraphernalia' and stable also easy to use - one thing does everything. They don't include the bobbin to screw into rear swing arm for lift strap with lift kit though**, has to be ordered separately ( I just used an M8 allen bolt - works for me ).

** Their excuse was 'Oh- we didn't realise the AL7 had a place for mounting the bobbin --- but they wanted extra money before they would ship the bobbin, so did without it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-05-20 at 03:08 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 04:52 PM   #7
Sean_Morgan

Many thanks for your replies gents.
The abba strand does look like a handy piece of kit but ive got to agree with Darren, it's probably a bit pricey for the occasional user.
I'll give myself a couple of days to think about it but I'm learning towards the one Darren linked

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sean_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:27 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

All I can say is if you are going to work on bikes look on an ABBA stand as a long term investment, you can get basic stand and get attachments to suit different bikes and different purposes - as Bibio said can even get kit to allow swing arm to be removed, and with front lift kit can take forks off. My AL7 and many newer bikes don't get a centre stand anymore, and to buy and fit an aftermarket one costs arm and leg - if you can get one.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:43 PM   #9
aj76

My next big investment is likely to be the skylift but that's because I want to do suspension linkage and swing arm bearings as well as not having to bend down all the time but when budget permits.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 09:45 AM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I got by with an cheap paddock stand and hydraulic jack for years and years, then someone gave me an abba stand - and they are amazing. However I do find it too much of a pain in the ass to get out for little jobs.