SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 31-05-05, 06:56 PM   #71
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

After much deliberating i'm getting a set of these fitted 2moro. Will post anything usefull after that.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-05, 09:56 PM   #72
jonboy

Had my SV fitted with the Conti Road attacks today (Jon Benson faints ) and have scrubbed them in after doing about 60 miles. After spending an extra 20 mins on the Jonboy Institute's Tyre Evaluation Facility the rear has only 1cm of chicken strip left and the front about 4-5mm. Will vanish them completely when I've got some time next week, but at least I'm sorted for the AR05.

So what are they like? Well obviously I've only just put them on so this is an initial appraisal and I'll add to it in a couple of weeks once I've thoroughly put them through their paces (if anyone's interested).

They're quicker steering than the 020s no doubt about it. Some will like that others won't and I'm in the latter category. Maybe it's because my preload it set too high and the rear shock is quite knackered but the bike just drops into corners once you're past point X which I find unnerving and was hoping this situation which also occured with the 020s would be cured (was going to go for a 120/70 section to see if it helped this but decided against and had the standard 120/60 fitted which at least allows a direct comparision with the previous 020s). Okay maybe I need to be a little more gentle with the counter-steering here and need to understand the tyre's behaviour better. Once I got to grips with this it was interesting as the tyre was shouting "chicken" at me and I'm quite convinced that it would go right down to it's edge on good tarmac and still stick.

The tyre wall seems a lot more flexible than the 020s (which have an exceedingly strong sidewall) and I could feel some feedback which was marred by the badly worn shock (once I change it I'm expecting a far greater level of control).

High speed stability in a straight line wasn't quite as composed as the 020 but banked over at highish speed (again on my test track) it was very confidence inspiring with no hint of drama.

I'm quite sure I'll have a lot of fun with these tyres and think that the SV's severely restricting suspension will be the limiting factor rather than the rubber itself.

And for the record I paid £160 fitted ridein/out from Wheelfit in Cambridge, who were most professional.

Old 03-06-05, 06:43 AM   #73
jon

Well i never, i thought your bike ran on slicks!

Be interesting to see how you find them over the next few days. I ordered some roadattacks 2 weeks ago, and then again a week ago and they're having trouble getting hold of them so i may try and talk them into putting some pilot powers on for a similar price. My current tyres are so square i could use them in a maths exam.

Oh, and your private test track wouldn't be the 507 would it?
Old 03-06-05, 08:44 AM   #74
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
It sometimes does, just I get nervous about plod

Quote:
I ordered some roadattacks 2 weeks ago, and then again a week ago and they're having trouble getting hold of them so i may try and talk them into putting some pilot powers on for a similar price. My current tyres are so square i could use them in a maths exam.
The Pilot Powers, while being a superbly sticky tyre, will likely do very little mileage. Why not go into Cambridge to Wheelfit and get them done? When I phoned they only had a rear in but got the front delivered the next day, so good and quick service.

http://www.wheel-fit.co.uk

Quote:
No not this time
Old 03-06-05, 01:23 PM   #75
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon

Be interesting to see how you find them over the next few days. I ordered some roadattacks 2 weeks ago, and then again a week ago and they're having trouble getting hold of them so i may try and talk them into putting some pilot powers on for a similar price. My current tyres are so square i could use them in a maths exam.

Hey Jon,

I just had a set fitted on Wednesday for the same as JB. £160 fitted ride in/out at essential rubber. They have more in stock too and are a nice bunch.
www.essentialrubber.co.uk for their number.
Top tyres so far, i cant belive how much i am leaning the bike over on my normal commute route!!
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 01:37 PM   #76
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
i cant belive how much i am leaning the bike over on my normal commute route!!
You up to 15 degrees now then?

Old 04-06-05, 07:09 PM   #77
jamieclayton9

in response to adam mine are also the same as yours bud
Old 04-06-05, 10:50 PM   #78
adam

do what now?
Old 25-06-05, 03:44 PM   #79
jonboy

Okay I've had my Road Attacks on for approx 1400 miles and have to say that the longer I ride on them the more I like them. There was certainly no instant love affair as they turn in quicker than the 020s that were on their previously but the grip is excellent and they now inspire lots of confidence. I'm quite sure that on a good road surface they'll not let go unless you're trying GP angles of lean the SV isn't made for. I've had the right hand peg down without any fuss whatsoever which is enough for me.

Still haven't been out in the wet yet but this hot weather is mainly to blame for that .

As for wear well there's no way I'll get two fronts to a rear, both tyres will need to be replaced at the same time and possibly the front looks like it might be wearing slightly quicker than the back. Still loads of tread left though and going by the current wear rate I'd expect to get 7500 from them which is not entirely unreasonable.

Would I have another set? Going by how I feel at the moment the answer is yes. Whether to move on to Z6s for what will most likely be my final tyres on the SV (purely by way of comparison) I'm not yet sure about.

So if anyone regrets putting these Contis on I'd find that puzzling. Good tyre, good price. What you want something even stickier (what a hero!)? Well Conti are now bringing out the new Sport Attack which will soon be released in SV fitments.

Old 25-06-05, 04:30 PM   #80
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy

Still haven't been out in the wet yet but this hot weather is mainly to blame for that .
And there was me thinking that Friday at Soho would have been the perfect wet weather test. Obviously not, yah light weight.