SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-06, 08:00 PM   #1
doe

Default oil, filter and air filter change

Been to H&G to get the oil change special deal. Manage to get off the oil drain plug. Thanks to all the previous post on the forum. One little problem! I cant get off the oil filter. I understand i can put a screwdriver through it, but i am worried i might do it wrong. Any specific way of doing this? I will have to start again at first light.

2nd QUESTION: Took out the air filter. It looks spotles, apart from d smell of petrol. Do i still change it? it a suzuki orginal.

Thanks
Old 16-04-06, 08:21 PM   #2
BILLY

Your best off with a filter wench! the strap type are cheep enough, Change the air filter it may look clean but is proberly full of crap, let your bike breath again!!!!!
Old 16-04-06, 09:16 PM   #3
kwak zzr

i used a wrench (the chain type) my oil filter was well stuck! theres no need to tighten them up that much
Old 16-04-06, 09:42 PM   #4
wheelnut

If you have a dog, you can borrow its lead and use that as a filter wrench, just thread it through a ring spanner and twist it.

It depends how big your dog is though
Old 16-04-06, 09:47 PM   #5
Patch

OK you are never going to use the filter again - hammer a screwdriver through it and use that as a lever, once it has moved an inch you'll be able to get it off the rest of the way by hand.

An oil filter wrench is the one tool you do not need in your garage.

Regarding the air filter how many miles have you done on the bike? remember that the particles that block the filtering capabilities are the ones that you can not see, pollen etc rather than the ones you can (flies and nesting doormice)
Old 17-04-06, 09:44 AM   #6
doe

Thanks guys. Off to the tool shop. Thought of using my belt but not sure how to use.
Old 17-04-06, 11:15 AM   #7
Cloggsy

I just smack a big flat-bladed screwdriver through mine
Old 17-04-06, 11:16 AM   #8
Peter Henry

I am with Patch and Cloggsy. No special wrench tool required at all to change any oil filter.
Old 17-04-06, 12:26 PM   #9
doe

Got a chain wrench from the local car shop for £3.50. Money well spent.
taking a break to watch the footie. Then its back to fill it up with 5L of oil.

Thanks all
Old 17-04-06, 12:50 PM   #10
doe

This is a really stupid question, but where do i dump the old OIL? i know i cant dump in the drains. So not sure what to do with 2.5 litres of condemn oil