SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-05, 11:41 AM   #1
BarbieBabe

Default I need some help...

I need some help...

I've just had problems with putting my standard can on (police told me to do it!). When I had this done, the garage said that I now need to have a new brake line 'cos the race can wasn't right for my sv and so had almost burned through it. So that's something I didn't know about the bike and as the sale was sold as seen - I can't do anything about it. When I was ready to leave the garage, he then noticed my headlight wasn't working, but the pass light switch did. So he had a quick look at the fuses and said that there must be a loose conection somewhere. He thinks that who ever fitted the Meta alarm, didn't do a good job of it and played about with the all the wiring. Now I need to spend over £300 to get tyres, and have all of this wiring stuff sorted. That's a pain in the **** and I have no comeback for the tampering that's been done before I bought the bike.

But that's not all folks...

Been away for just over 1 week, I come back to find that my alarm is not working. The key fob doesn't do anything and the sensor light is not flashing - what does this mean? I don't know what to do. Someone has said that the battery is flat but how can it be?

I'm so fed up with all these problems, it's really putting me off having a bike, and I've always wanted a bike. If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, BarbieBabe x x x
Old 30-05-05, 12:29 PM   #2
Last Action Pimp

I WOULD SELL IT AND BUY ANOTHER, I HATE ALARMS THEY CAUSE SOO MANY PROBLEMS.
Old 30-05-05, 12:40 PM   #3
PBx

That sounds like a real pain.

If the alarm was botched it is possible for you to get your battery flattened quite quickly.

It sounds like a long list but there isn't really all that much once your electrics are all sorted. I would make sure that you have someone have a thorough look over those electrics and make sure its ok.

Brake pipe - not a big thrill

Tyres - always cost cash

Once you get the bike sorted, all those worries will disappear
Old 30-05-05, 12:45 PM   #4
Anonymous

Although relatively unhelpful (and please no need to SHOUT) XVS is correct in that the alarm has probably flattenned the battery. In some cases they seem to be a heavy drain. Also perhaps ypu left a parking light on while trying to sort that problem?
So get the battery charged up, and if you want to retain the alarm an optimate trickle charger is useful to keep it topped up.

The brake line thing sounds like it needs attention. Rather than the wrong can its sounds like the line needed a bit of a re-route. But get that sorted and the tyres and Im sure you wll be less disheartened. Tyres is one of those unavoidable biking expenses.

Perhaps one of the local people could help you with the light. If dip works you should be ok for a while as the eves are long now as long as your not planning too much night riding. Hopefully one of the people on here may be able to help with that?

Dont be put off

Old 30-05-05, 01:35 PM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: I need some help...

So wait, this dealer has just found a multitude of problems on a bike that the previous owner's done thousands of miles on with (at least not that I can remember) no major problems?

I'd think about getting a second opinion before handing over a shed load of money, not to mention accusing someone of selling you a turkey, when you have no clue yourself.
Old 30-05-05, 01:41 PM   #6
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Dont be put off
True, the SV is a good bike. Particularly the one you have which has been pampered and lavished with care by Deejay and having seen it on many occasions I've never seen it dirty and he was always maintaining it, to the extent that just before you bought it he replaced the front discs. He loved that bike.

As for alarms, the world and his dog has a different opinion to how they should be installed, so it could well be okay. The light is not a big problem to fix and I would be very surprised to find it wasn't working when it was sold to you. Tyres? Well like petrol they need replacing but I'd be surprised (again) if they were totally knackered. The brake line? Well who put the can on? Because whoever did it was their responsibility to have seen that it wasn't fouling anything on the bike, hardly requiring a large IQ.

If you leave your bike unattended for often as little as a week the battery can often go dead if you have an alarm installed.

Bikes have problems, they're more tempermental than cars and subsequently need greater and more regular care.

The inference in your post suggesting you've been short-changed is simply wrong.

Old 30-05-05, 01:46 PM   #7
Armat

Personally I would through the alarm in trash. Buy a good quality lack which lacks onto front rooter (which I been using for years) and buy SS lines both front and back(I use galfer and it came with free front break pads as a bonus). They dramatically improve the breaking performance. Most SV riders do break mode anyway so it is more of incentive to do it now properly since you have to replace it anyway.
After sorting the wires to default level then you should be fine.
Old 30-05-05, 02:38 PM   #8
weegaz22

doesnt sound like a big deal to me, pull the plastics off the bike and check the wiring where the alarm is connected, i would get a battery tender on the bike if you can to make sure the battery doesnt get flattened by it, also take it to another bike shop for a 2nd opinion, did he check the bulbs in the headlight unit? as it is possible for the pass switch to work and the normal beam not to as one of the filaments in both bulbs could be busted, had it on a freinds car
Old 30-05-05, 02:59 PM   #9

get a Optimiser & plug the bike into this when not in use, as oters have said could be just the bulb, nothing worth worrying about, surely there's some SV'ers in your neck of the woods to help.
Old 30-05-05, 03:51 PM   #10
pepe

I've got a battery charger you can use, have you got a manual for the alarm ? if not see if you can download one from there internet site. It might have been set off/ head lightslights left on and drained the battery ?

Like the others have said, get a second opinion. Essential Rubber have a good name , they've changed my tires,fixed puncture so far but haven't used them for anything else yet, but seemed very good . You can find there phone number etc on the net.

Oh and I've had my old mito nicked and crashed, got it fixed and cost a fortune, dropped the sv after having it about 4 weeks , someone tried to nick the sv which I then had to pay £200 for a new chain and all in all it's cost me a few bob to have a bike for the last 3 years but all that money is well spent when your out on a ride with friends and loving every minute off it ( including comuting to work in all weathers ).

Stick with it and see it as a never ending learning curve