SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-03-12, 07:49 PM   #1001
Stuuk1

Default Re: F1 Racing Thread

Sadly cant watch any of it this weekend as im working

Extremely nice to see Williams in the top 10 on the starting grid ))) Lets hope its a better year for them, cant get much worse that last year.

Also the 107% rule is harsh..
Old 17-03-12, 07:50 PM   #1002
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Sky HD

Coverage is pretty good, so far. Other chap in the commentary box with Martin Brundle is a bit shouty, but I am liking the insight that Damon Hill and Anthony Davidson are bringing into it.

Will probably get up early tomorrow to watch it live.
Like the coverage so far I think its because they are in no rush as there is no program following. Set the build up and race on record to watch as soon as I wake. Would prefer to see some of the support events instead of so many reruns, after all We all have the record button.
Old 17-03-12, 07:54 PM   #1003
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post

I disagree - otherwise it should be called 'positioning' rather than 'qualifying'.

From some of the incidents in Q1 today a few of the cars aren't in the same league.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-12, 08:26 PM   #1004
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
Disagree

Its up to the teams to provide a car that is up to standard, if you are just going to pootle around at the back and make up numbers what's the point.

I remember the 70's when they used to have to pre qualify, i.e. they had to qualify to qualify, used to make sure that uncompetitive cars & drivers didnt basically behave as mobile chicanes, 107% rule is no different.

Imagine what the closing speed is like when you are coming up to lap a car that is 10 seconds or something like that per lap slower. The HRT's were getting in the way during qualifying today...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-12, 08:30 PM   #1005
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Quote:
Disagree

Its up to the teams to provide a car that is up to standard, if you are just going to pootle around at the back and make up numbers what's the point.

I remember the 70's when they used to have to pre qualify, i.e. they had to qualify to qualify, used to make sure that uncompetitive cars & drivers didnt basically behave as mobile chicanes, 107% rule is no different.

Imagine what the closing speed is like when you are coming up to lap a car that is 10 seconds or something like that per lap slower. The HRT's were getting in the way during qualifying today...
More to the point the HRT's were unable to complete more that a couple of laps. They are just not ready.
Old 17-03-12, 08:34 PM   #1006
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Agreed, thats where lack of winter testing hits the smaller teams IMHO.

Old 17-03-12, 09:16 PM   #1007
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Pedro DLR didn't turn a wheel in the winter testing that was available because the car wasn't ready, if the winter testing was tripled then the big teams would benefit Pedro still would not have tested.
Old 17-03-12, 09:27 PM   #1008
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Ah I didnt realise that...

I read on autosport that HRT arent being allowed to start tomorrows race, despite asking for dispensation to do so.

Old 17-03-12, 10:09 PM   #1009
Stuuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy H View Post
I disagree - otherwise it should be called 'positioning' rather than 'qualifying'.

From some of the incidents in Q1 today a few of the cars aren't in the same league.

I just said it was harsh, not 'too harsh'.

I totally agree with it, its way too dangerous to have slower cars on a track full of faster racers, it would only end in more incidents.

I do however, think its sad to see teams struggle. The expertise involved to get that far in to F1 and then be turned away at the last hurdle... Gutting.
Old 18-03-12, 01:52 AM   #1010
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Sky HD

Coverage is pretty good, so far. Other chap in the commentary box with Martin Brundle is a bit shouty, but I am liking the insight that Damon Hill and Anthony Davidson are bringing into it.

Will probably get up early tomorrow to watch it live.
It's just not the same without 'The Chain'...... even if they don't want to use the same music as the BBC they need something better than what there at the moment.

Half an hour into the warm up show and I need to get my moan out of the way so I can get on with the actual race. The whole format just seems akward. The main guy seem a bit of a **** and Damon Hill seems to agree with me - At least he's not giving him all of his attention and keeps looking elsewhere. The people they've interviewed seem to feel akward around them - maybe it's because the BBC team were popular, but it doesn't make for good watching. There just isn't the chemistry that was there with the BBC team (and yes I know it's the first show but from what I remember the BBC had it straight from the start). As nice as Georgie is I don't see what she brings to the show apart from the nice side on shot of her bum.... she certainly isn't taking on the traditional female role (Suzi Perry, Jenni Gow in motoGP - and I wasn't even a Jenni fan).

The other thing that's got me is, being 30 minutes in, I've already seen at least three pieces of footage in features used twice - just seems lazy. The shot of Martin Brundle putting on a helmet in the Ferarri was used in the Nigel Mansell piece as was the shot of someone spraying WD40.

Hope it improves over the season - and that the Red Button features make up for it. I think from now on I'll be missing the build-ups and just watching the race.

Last edited by MisterTommyH; 18-03-12 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added a moan about the coverage - It's early and I'm tired.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote