SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-03-08, 10:44 AM   #21
glsuk1970

Default Re: F1 Racing Thread

Well, you learn something new everday! The way it's been portrayed in the F1 arena is that it's new technology or maybe I just assumed it was, philistine that I am. Can't say I watch any American motorsport (not since Mansell left Indy car racing, at least) so I'm not up to speed on the car specs.

You're right BigApe about nothing concrete being released by the FIA concerning the banning of tyre warmers and the re-introduction if slicks, if running on cold tyres with lower downforce is that dangerous then it does seem a step too far.

This is why I love F1 - it's not just the race on Sunday, it's all the bull**** and politics that comes with it!
Old 25-03-08, 10:50 AM   #22
plowsie

I tip Nelson Piquet to win a race this season, looked a promising driver the past few years. Rather pleased with Kubica Tough one to call the championship winner this season though me thinks.

Another thing...I am really happy that they have ditched traction control...brings a bit more fun back into the racing...Maybe this will happen in the Moto GP soon
Old 25-03-08, 05:10 PM   #23
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

So petulant whinging or just being honest..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7312280.stm

Oh and is anybody in the Profantasyf1 fantasy formula one league. I've got a team in ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-08, 06:49 PM   #24
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
So petulant whinging or just being honest..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7312280.stm

Oh and is anybody in the Profantasyf1 fantasy formula one league. I've got a team in ?
Spoiled brat !!
Old 25-03-08, 09:48 PM   #25
glsuk1970

Exclamation Re: F1 Racing Thread

Brilliant. 2nd race of the season barely finished and already he's publicly discussing his potential 2009 prospects away from Renault. Not what you'd call a motivational interview if you're part of the Renault team

I wonder if Flavio Briatore will bite his lip when Alonso doesn't get the results he feels he deserves and starts washing his dirty laundry in public again. They were all lovely dovey when things were going well in '05 and '06 but this year will really test their relationship... or

Shame really cause he's obviously a gifted driver, on par with Raikonnen in terms of natural ability, but doesn't he moan???
Old 25-03-08, 09:58 PM   #26
Stig

He does moan. But he is a superb driver. He'll not sit at Renault and bide his time for his next move. He'll still put all the effort in required. He just doesn't seem to understand team loyalty. For team loyalty we should be looking at Jenson Button and his dogged determination to stick with Honda regardless of last years season. Weather he is contracted to them for this year or not. Next year or not. Not as it currently stands. He has never dissed the team and has always been a superb team player.

Did I mention I am a JB fan. I think in April when they get the new modifications (which is a couple of months earlier than some of the other teams are going to be introducing theirs) I think Honda will be stepping up another notch and we will see Jenson and Rubens fighting for points consistently.
Old 25-03-08, 10:27 PM   #27
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

As far as Alonso goes - you can just about guarantee that if their was even the slightest hint of an agreement between him & Ferrari neither side would be saying a word !!

Si, I also like JB - but you have to admit his decisions have left a bit to be desired, haven't they ?!!

According to the runour mill it cost him somewhere around 5 million to buy his way out of the Williams contract so he could remain at Honda - I wonder if he feels it was really money well spent ?

The worst of it is I think that Ross Brawn will really help turn things around - this actually causes me a problem 'cos on one hand I admire the guy as a tactical genius, but on the other I consider him one of the 2 biggest cheats in F1 history - however I digress, as I was saying although I believe he'll turn things around I don't think that Jenson will benefit from it - by the time he's worked his magic JB will past his peak & probably on his way back 'down' into the lesser teams where he'll be valued for his experience but with no real chance of a WDC
Old 25-03-08, 11:23 PM   #28
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
As far as Alonso goes - you can just about guarantee that if their was even the slightest hint of an agreement between him & Ferrari neither side would be saying a word !!

Si, I also like JB - but you have to admit his decisions have left a bit to be desired, haven't they ?!!

According to the runour mill it cost him somewhere around 5 million to buy his way out of the Williams contract so he could remain at Honda - I wonder if he feels it was really money well spent ?

The worst of it is I think that Ross Brawn will really help turn things around - this actually causes me a problem 'cos on one hand I admire the guy as a tactical genius, but on the other I consider him one of the 2 biggest cheats in F1 history - however I digress, as I was saying although I believe he'll turn things around I don't think that Jenson will benefit from it - by the time he's worked his magic JB will past his peak & probably on his way back 'down' into the lesser teams where he'll be valued for his experience but with no real chance of a WDC
Like David Coulthard you mean Possibly but I don't think so. Ross Brawn is not the boss at Honda. Honda really do think that JB can be world champion for them. The guy has plenty of years left in him and I don't think it's going to long before Honda are back where they were going when they were BAR.

As for JB making the wrong move. I don't think he did. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. When he made that decision, Williams were already on the way down. They had lost BMW as an engine supplier and were buying customer engines. Also at the same time, Honda were going in the right direction. Up. Then they had the awful year last year. No one would have predicted that. They fully expected to be contesting for the title last year. It was nothing other than a complete disaster. But like I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Had Williams taken on JB instead of Montoya, when they still had a competitive car, I think he could have been world champion already.

That would have been the dream team for me. Having been a Williams fan from a very early age. To see JB win in a Williams would have been just perfect. I was seriously disappointed when Williams let him go and employed Montoya. Williams have been on the grid for a billion years and the only surviving independent racing team out there. It took Frank Williams years and years before he even won his first race. He was the joke of the pack. He turned it all around though.

I've also had the honour of working at the HQ. I've had access to every area in the whole of the complex. I've watched them build cars for up coming races. Watched them practise the pitstops. Watch them fabricate parts out of carbon fibre. I've been in the development offices, where they design the latest parts. And I've been in the old and the brand new museums. I've sat in the very same cars that have won races. Senna's and Mansell's. I've held in my hands the trophies for races won. I think I've been quite privileged really.

I even thought about applying for a position as a fibre optics engineer. I used to do this as a career. They had a position open. I just don't think Jo would have been to chuffed me disappearing for most of the year.
Old 26-03-08, 08:28 AM   #29
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
I've also had the honour of working at the HQ. I've had access to every area in the whole of the complex. I've watched them build cars for up coming races. Watched them practise the pitstops. Watch them fabricate parts out of carbon fibre. I've been in the development offices, where they design the latest parts. And I've been in the old and the brand new museums. I've sat in the very same cars that have won races. Senna's and Mansell's. I've held in my hands the trophies for races won. I think I've been quite privileged really.

I even thought about applying for a position as a fibre optics engineer. I used to do this as a career. They had a position open. I just don't think Jo would have been to chuffed me disappearing for most of the year.
To right, wow I'm not jealous, no, not at all, not even a tiny weeny bit

NOT !!

I nearly applied for a Job at Mclaren a few years ago, they wanted a I.T. guy for their test team, I ticked every box on the advert except for one and unfortunately it was a major one and I didnt want to blag it !!

As for Button, well I think if he's not careful he is destined to be the next DC. They were talking the other week about him signed for Honda for another 2 or 3 years. I know he is loyal but he needs IMHO to look around and see what else is available, I cant see them turning that car around quickly. I'd be looking to get out if it were me.

Winning one race, does not a champion make IMHO.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-08, 03:14 PM   #30
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post

As for Button, well I think if he's not careful he is destined to be the next DC. They were talking the other week about him signed for Honda for another 2 or 3 years. I know he is loyal but he needs IMHO to look around and see what else is available, I cant see them turning that car around quickly. I'd be looking to get out if it were me.
That's true but if you were in a strugling team and Ross Brawn came along and offered his input, you'd be pretty excited. Look how he and Todt brought forward Ferrari's development from a rubbish car to a winning car.

I miss the good ol days with slicks, V10's, no driver aids, and one qualifying session.