SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-08-08, 05:25 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Best man speech writing tips?

Writing a speech as I'm best man at a wedding next weekend. A good mate, but not my best mate, and he's never been a wild one so the amusing stories are a little lacking, any tips apart from just ripping bits off other speeches on the internet?
Old 25-08-08, 05:43 PM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

Default Re: Best man speech writing tips?

Ah, the "best" man!

Any speech must have a structure - a beginning, middle, and end. Best Man's speeches are fortunate in that the beginning and end is fairly well defined... it's the middle that is your domain!

Keep things simple... pick one or two stories that you're going to tell, and construct them in a way that the gritty details can be inferred - but never described in the speech.

Finally, pad this out with witty and derisory quips about the groom.

DO NOT be smutty, mention other girlfriends or boyfriends that may be sensitive to the bride or other guests, and most of all... don't give any stag-do details away.

The aim of the speech is to relax everyone, get some laughs, and raise conversations on the tables you're addressing.

Good luck.
Old 25-08-08, 06:07 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

No.Make it really smutty and sordid.That way he wont ask you to do it next time.
Old 25-08-08, 06:15 PM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

open with;

"If i could just say a few words.....

I'd be a better public speaker"

Timeless
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-08, 06:23 PM   #5
Davido

Well if you're thinking there's a next time then i wouldn't be honest about what you think about their marriage.
Old 25-08-08, 06:29 PM   #6
jaffacakes

Whatever you do, dont download one from the internet, my brother in law's brother (if that makes sense) done that and it was God awfull.

Hope that helps
Old 25-08-08, 06:32 PM   #7
Gordon B

Relax. This is key.

I did a speech and looking back through the video I rushed through it. I had some really good material but didn't give any of it a chance to 'land' as it were. Remember these people haven't paid to come and see you, you are just a part of the overall day. 90% of them will get so legless at the evening do (remember they will have been drinking all day!) that they probably won't remember much of the day anyways!

Agree about not mentioning ex's and stuff, can get a bit sticky sometimes, and smut is a definite no no.

Don't be afraid to use t'internet either, its a really good way to get some tips and a structure. Don't copy and paste a ready made speech as that will show, but just personalise it.

Good Luck!
Old 25-08-08, 06:54 PM   #8
rob13

My mates gave one for a steady mate only a couple of weeks ago. They picked up points of his personality (Pub, Football etc) and made in jokes about those. Kept it reasonably brief - thanked everyone, made mention of the stag do, couple of wise cracks about stuff from the past and that was it. Didnt bring the house down, but wasnt cringeworthy either.
Old 25-08-08, 07:39 PM   #9
blueto

i played at a wedding last a few weks ago and the best man done a photo presentation of his mates life.....

Thought it was a brill idea and it went down a treat
Old 25-08-08, 11:12 PM   #10
rsredline

Did bestman for me Bro couple of year back. It is nerve wracking alright!!!!
Tips:
dont get locked before the speech, have one or two to try steady the nerves
Dont go on for about an hour reading out ****ty cards people sent in, no one wants to hear that crap.
The crowd will have a few drinks on them by the time you get up to do your speech which helps but v.important is that they want to see you do well as everyone knows its a tough job so relax.....
Yeah defo no storys on ex's etc but if you can throw in a few hidden jokes if you get my meaning
Write your speech out im bullet points, I got a book on bestman speech's and how to do public speaking in general, well worth the few quid.

Best of luck Dude