SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 14-12-08, 03:22 PM   #1
Kilted Ginger

Default Round the houses Tour

I've been toying with this idea for a wee while and am tempted to make it a reality in 2009.
A circumnavigation of Scotland, Eyemouth on the east, Stranraer on the west Skye, John O' Groats and everywhere in between right round the coast / border.
Sticking to the nicer roads i reckon this would be between 12 and 15 hundred miles, so probably 3 days riding possibly 4 if you stretch it out. That's only if you dont include the islands.

Opinions:

If you are doing that many miles would you prefer to do "the continent"?
Would there be an interest in anyone else doing this?
Would there be an interest in "joining" up for short sections as it passed your area.
Would there be org'ers prepared to give those on the trip a bit floor space for the night (and rolls on sausage in the morning)

Very early stages but definate possibility, thinking of before this years massacre. Thoughts please.

Last edited by Kilted Ginger; 07-01-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 14-12-08, 04:21 PM   #2
scooby2102

Default Re: Round the houses Tour

KG, I have done the southern part a few summers ago and kinda staggered it over a few weekends.

I was thinking of heading north this year with the tent but would be taking around 10-14 days to cover the coast roads although that would include some island hops.

Ref the mileage, if your going to be doing 400 + miles a day, you aint gonna see much mate.
Old 14-12-08, 04:34 PM   #3
Dicky Ticker

KG, 400MILES per day up the far north on coast roads is an endurance trial,ok for one day but 4days. You could do it but it would not be all that enjoyable as you aren't allowing any time to relax. We have done a couple of 280mile days on previous tours and that was enough,especially in company as you will all be stopping and starting for some reason or another which eats into the day,not forgetting the weather
The old adage would apply to this I think "The lone wolf travels fastest"so I presume you are looking for saddle happy company for this one
Old 14-12-08, 08:14 PM   #4
-Ralph-

Why didn't you come up with this idea last night? We'd still have been drinking whisky and pouring over maps at 5am, and Hazel would have long since given up on the idea of going home and gone to bed!

Yep, maybe a 5 or 6 day tour rather than a four. If you need to take 4 days off work, you may as well take a week and give yourself up to 7 days.

The trip I'd like to do would basically be "follow the sea" in that you stick to the road closest to the sea regardless of how narrow, twisty and detourish it might be, that's how your going to see find the bits of the coast that you you'll be glad you didn't miss.

There would be a LOT of 30 mph limits, but you would just have to approach the trip with the intention of going slow and taking in what you see.

Maybe you could cut it back a bit by starting in Dundee and finishing in Stranraer? Most of us know E Lothian / Fife / East Neuk pretty well already and can ride it anytime we want. Don't often hear of folk doing the Ayrshire coast unless they live over that way though, which is a real shame. Also could replace some sections of "follow the sea" where the minor road is not within view of the sea anyway, ie: such as Buckie to Dornoch with main road and make up some miles.

Could we do it at a time of year when we can see the Northern Lights? I'd love to do that.

Adding in some ferries to get down the West coast would break things up a bit and allow a bit of the Mull of Kintyre, and Arran to be done.
Old 14-12-08, 08:21 PM   #5
gerbrox

Sounds Fantastic, I'd love to do that but probably unlikely I'd get the better half support and all that, I suppose it could be a toss up between West Highland way or this? You never know.

Never been to Skye yet and love to do that on the bike!!!

What time of year would you be talking about?
Old 14-12-08, 09:25 PM   #6
TEC

Another reason to visit the wilds of Scotland and other places
Old 15-12-08, 08:31 AM   #7
combatfred

This has been on my to-do list, so in theory I'll be in.

My ideal is probably to hug the coast as much as possible, though you've got to find a balance between that and making a bit of progress.

2009 could be a splendid biking year! The AR, the Whiskey Chaser, Round the houses and Haggis's idea. .
Old 15-12-08, 12:26 PM   #8
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatfred View Post
The AR, the Whiskey Chaser, Round the houses and Haggis's idea. .
And Mac's Annual Essex Lounge Pilgrimage. Any more?

I think I'd fall in to the 'join in for a bit' section. 400 miles p/d is too much for my ****/back/neck/wrists/sense of humour. I'm 41 you know...

But put me down for available floor space and rolls, bit of a diversion though that would probably be.
Old 15-12-08, 02:21 PM   #9
haggis

I had a similar thought last year to do the four corners sometime, but maybe doing it for charity? Getting time off might be an issue for me though.

Like the twist of staying with the org'ers when possible, would keep luggage and cost down and comfort up, bonus!!!
Old 15-12-08, 05:56 PM   #10
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbrox View Post
I suppose it could be a toss up between West Highland way or this?
I really would not recommend trying to take your bike along the west highland way.