SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-09, 10:50 PM   #1
benp1

Default Starter button temperamental

My starter button is playing up. Recently it's been taking a couple of tries, today it's quite a few.

I go throgh the normal procedure - bike in neutral, switch on, choke on, pull in clutch and press button

then nothing. I have to press the button quite a few times before it wakes up and starts the bike. Once the button works it starts fine and all is normal. Usually the first one may not work but if I press it again it's fine. Tonight I must have pressed it ten times before it started!

It runs fine once it's started, it's just getting it started

does anyone have any ideas?
Old 30-06-09, 11:07 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Starter button temperamental

might be a bit of crap in there, just take it apart and clean.

could also be the clutch switch though, clean that while your at it
Old 30-06-09, 11:23 PM   #3
benp1

Thanks hovis

I've misplaced my haynes manual so have no idea how to do the clutch switch, is it easy?

I'm assuming that taking apart the starter switch is a lot easier?
Old 01-07-09, 06:53 AM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

they are both pretty easy really. The clutch switch is really basic, it has a slider and some contacts. Located just under the clutch lever on the lever mount, one screw removes it. Give it a good spray with electrical contact cleaner and it should be right.

The switch gear isnt that difficult to remove although on the naked its combined with the throttle mechanism and be a little more tricky. Same thing, pop it open and clean with contact cleaner.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:32 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Thry this to eliminiate the clutch switch.

Look under the clutch lever, you will see a plug, Pull this off and get a paper clip. Make a connection between the two slots with the paper clip and tape up with some insulating tape. If the bike starts on the button everytime, then its the clutch switch. Leave the bodge in place and forget about it, or clean the switch out or buy a new one.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 08:31 AM   #6
benp1

Thanks for your help. had to take the tube in today because the button had packed it in and i was worried that if i got to work getting home again would be even worse.

i'll try fiddling when i get home. Viney, that clutch switch trick looks nifty, thanks a lot, hopefully its that!
Old 01-07-09, 09:00 AM   #7
Tim in Belgium

Sounds like clutch switch as the others say, I had the same problem, to such an extent that once or twice I used to revert to bump starting the bike.
Old 01-07-09, 09:32 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp1 View Post
Thanks for your help. had to take the tube in today because the button had packed it in and i was worried that if i got to work getting home again would be even worse.

i'll try fiddling when i get home. Viney, that clutch switch trick looks nifty, thanks a lot, hopefully its that!
I disconnected mine years ago
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:20 PM   #9
benp1

Guys, thank you so much for your help, paperclip worked perfectly! Bike starts first time every time! The tube was horrible today, back on the bike tomorrow
Old 01-07-09, 06:32 PM   #10
flymo
Mega Poster

Just make sure if you are going to break down, try and do it near a 'Staples' store.

or you could of course just replace the clutch switch. I permanently wired mine together and removed the switch, same with the sidestand switch.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote