SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-11-11, 03:32 PM   #1
McK

Default Non starter, what to do?

Working on my SV as it just wont start anymore. Thought it was the cold and the battery and last weekend took that out and charged it but alas that was not the fix.

Just back in today from delving a bit further and looking at filters and spark plugs. Plugs look a slightly darker brown than the pic here : http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=171636
Also the gap looks larger than the stated 0.8mm in haynes manual (havent got feeler gauges to check accurately). Plugs were sparking when placed against the engine - bright orange spark which seemed ok and regular. Spark plugs are iridium version and have probably done about 6k

Filter looks pretty black and furry. It is a K&N one so not sure if I can clean/repair - got no compressed air to blow through it.

So my next steps to get the bike back on the road seem to be buy some feeler gauges and replace filter. Is there anything else I should be checking also?

. Bike was serviced by Spannerman Feb 2010 and also looked at this summer for a replacement chain. Only other thing that I have noticed is a gradual drop in idling speed over several months.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated. If I cant fix it myself, any suggestions for a good mechanic around N London?

Cheers
Doug

edit : Ive been mainly using it for short commuting runs through London, with the occasional blast into the country when weather/time permits.

Last edited by McK; 19-11-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 19-11-11, 03:48 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Maintenance help

You have PM.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote