SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-10, 12:15 AM   #1
DavieSV

Default Fixer-Peg, comments please

edit* If any one has never heard of a Fixer-Peg up untill now, would you like to leave your thoughts about the product?

or if anyone has known about the Fixer-Peg for a while but have decided not to invest (in the leading mobile lever repair product ) would you please leave your comments about your decision.
edit*

I am after comments about the Fixer-Peg.

I have a meeting with a marketing company on the 25th of January. They have aready emailed me a brief about what they would like to do before going to marketing along with their costs. (ouch!) I want to go and hear what they have to say before I make a decision.

I want to go into the meeting armed with some feedback (positive and negative) from users, and non users, and where best to ask for that information than the birth place of the Fixer-Peg.

Their costs seem very high but I need the business to progress as it is just paying for itself at the moment with only my time and energy keeping it going.

If you could let me know some information like the sample below (good or bad), It may give my partner and the marketing guys a better indication of which path to take, if any.

Bike -
Do you have a Fixer-Peg? -
Why? -
Have you used a Fixer-Peg? -
If so, why, and were you able to continue? -
If you didn't have one, what would have happend? -
What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? -
Would you prefer to buy one from;
A, manufactures web site,
B, resllers web site,
C, local accessory outlet,
Answer -
Would you recomend one to your friends? -
What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? -
Other comments -

I'm sorry if this sounds like a plug, it's not.

Last edited by DavieSV; 23-01-10 at 03:45 PM. Reason: to get a different point of view
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-10, 12:36 AM   #2
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fixer-Peg, comments please

Bike - VFR750
Do you have a Fixer-Peg? - No
Why? - Too expensive for something unlikely to be used, I can get a long way in just 3rd if I can't change gear, one of two times I've snapped the end off a gear lever I also snapped the hanger and the other time I could still change gear with the stub.
Have you used a Fixer-Peg? - No
What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? - As something I'd buy as a 'get you home' £5.
B, resllers web site,
Answer - A,B & C tbh, each have their advantages, for example reseller typically sells other things and can amalgamate postage. I'd expect A to be cheapest and C would be an 'impulse' buy.
Would you recomend one to your friends? - Not at the current price.
What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? - Good, possibly too good for a stick under the seat for a once in a blue moon emergency item.

Druid
Old 22-01-10, 02:55 AM   #3
5hort5

Bike - SV650SX
Do you have a Fixer-Peg? - No
Why? - What is one??????? (googled - ahhh ok, neat yer I like that)
If so, why, and were you able to continue? -
If you didn't have one, what would have happend? - Walked, gone home in first
What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? - £7, £10 tops for something bling
B, resllers web site,
Answer - Don't care, any
Would you recomend one to your friends? - Maybe - it's a bit like carrying spare fuses
What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? - don't know
Other comments - make a fixer lever as well (and maybe a fixer tarmac rash and a fixer leg)
5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-10, 08:13 AM   #4
Tiger 55

Bike - Hornet 600
Do you have a Fixer-Peg? - Yes
Why? - A mate fell off right at the start of a two day rideout, his Fixer-Peg didn't just get him home, it let him stay on the ride. I thought, 'I'm having one of those.'
What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? - £15
B, resllers web site,
Answer - C. These things should be everywhere so you can buy one in Inverness on a Saturday instead of phoning the RAC or buy one on impulse while your wife tries on 20 pairs of boots.
Would you recomend one to your friends? - Yes
What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? - Above mate kept his on for 6 months, forgot it was there really. With occasional use I'm pretty confident it'll last a lifetime.
Other comments - Fixer-Peg is like a secret society, people need to know about these things!
Old 22-01-10, 08:40 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Bike - K5 GSXR 750

Why? - Bought it as was doing to big trips ( Scotland / France ) and I wanted someting under the seat that I could use in an emergency to get me home rather than being sat waiting for recovery for hours and it takes up less room and is easier to fit than a replacement lever is.

Have you used a Fixer-Peg? - Yes

If so, why, and were you able to continue? - Lent it to a chap on a rideout after he fell off so he could continue with the rideout / get himself home afterwards

If you didn't have one, what would have happend? - He'd have been stuck waiting for recovery or somebody to help him bodge his lever up, it would have ruined his day and delayed the rideout

What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? - Whatever you charged me for the last one I bought off you I thought was a fair price for peace of mind

B, resllers web site,

Answer - A, but also C would be useful if you were stuck somewhere and could pop into a local shop and get one and continue on your journey

Would you recomend one to your friends? - Yes definately

What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? - Very good. Neat bit of design and its well made. Its a quality piece of kit.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 22-01-10 at 08:56 AM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-10, 08:51 AM   #6
petevtwin650

Agree with Tigers comments above absolutely

Bike - Ducati 996
Do you have a Fixer-Peg? - Yes. always under the seat.
Why? - Just in case, and it may get someone else out of trouble too.
Have you used a Fixer-Peg? - No, but seen it used on numerous occasions.
If so, why, and were you able to continue? - N/A
If you didn't have one, what would have happened? - N/A
What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? - Prefer it to be a fiver, but how much is a new lever?
A, manufactures web site, ok, if you are buying one in advance
B, resllers web site, Prefer Manufacturers TBH
C, local accessory outlet, Most definately, so one could be bought in an emergency.
Answer -
Would you recomend one to your friends? - Yes, and have.
What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? - Possibly over engineered, but excellent.
Other comments - I think you should try and get all the breakdown/recovery companies to carry these. What it does, is allow the bike to continue on it's journey, which might be the start of a 2 week touring holiday or the daily commute, safely and legally, if it's the rear brake lever that's broken, with complete peace of mind.
Old 22-01-10, 08:57 AM   #7
Owenski

Bike - SV650S
Do you have a Fixer-Peg? - Dont think so
Why? - Dont know what one is.
Have you used a Fixer-Peg? - Maybe
If so, why, and were you able to continue? - Possibly depends if I have used one or not.
If you didn't have one, what would have happend? - Bodged it
What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? - More than 20p less than £1000
B, resllers web site,
Answer - C
Would you recomend one to your friends? - If I knew what it was
What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? - It sounds robust and shiney
Other comments - WHAT THE FECK IS A FIXER PEG?
Old 22-01-10, 09:04 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmatt7 View Post
Other comments - WHAT THE FECK IS A FIXER PEG?
One of these

http://www.fixer-peg.co.uk/

Old 22-01-10, 09:06 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Other comments - I think you should try and get all the breakdown/recovery companies to carry these. What it does, is allow the bike to continue on it's journey, which might be the start of a 2 week touring holiday or the daily commute, safely and legally, if it's the rear brake lever that's broken, with complete peace of mind.
Thats a good idea, but I wander would it be possible to take it step further and get it inclued in the bikes toolkit. Maybe you could do a deal with a dealer franchise somewhere like fowlers so that it goes out with all new bikes sold...

I dont know if thats feasable or not though...

Old 22-01-10, 09:32 AM   #10
jamesterror

Bike - SV650 K4 Naked

Why? - Cos when I came off I snapped the gear lever, Badger sent me a fixer peg took about 10 minutes to drill a hole through and put it altogether, maybe even less time.
Have you used a Fixer-Peg? - Yes
If so, why, and were you able to continue? - Yes its still currently on and has been for the last 200 miles cos I've only just got a new gear lever I need to fit.
If you didn't have one, what would have happend? - I'd have been waiting a while to ride.
What price do you think you should pay for a Fixer-Peg? - Around £10.00, although only small they are quite strong.
B, resllers web site,
C, local accessory outlet, (all3)
Answer -
Would you recomend one to your friends? - Yes
What do you think of the quality of the Fixer-Peg? - Strong, I've not snapped it off yet.
Other comments - Ideal to have there as a just incase because you're not just having it for one vehicle, it'll work across the range of bikes so your not limited by the product which is useful if you like to swap bikes I suppose!
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote