SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-06, 02:58 PM   #1
Kylie

Default Strapping an SV down on a ferry

Just booked ferry to head over to the Skerries 100 north of Dublin at the end of june. I'm going on the Stena fastferry speed cat thing, and I assume that the bike needs to be strapped down for the sailing. Do ferry companies like Stena provide the straps or do I have to bring my own? And where to strap, just single strap over the seat?
Cheers,
Mike.
Old 10-05-06, 03:06 PM   #2
Anonymous

I can't speak for Irish ferries, but on cross channel ones accepted wisdom seems to be to let them get on with it an just keep an eye.

If you do it they probably wouldnt accept liability for mishaps.

What you may like to do is lash your brake lever, although I just put the bike in gear.

And you may like to have something soft to put between strap and saddle in case their padding is grimey. I've use a glove before.

Has anyone seen a bike fall over? There's a debate sidestand vs centrestand but that doesn't apply to an SV. FWIW the collective wisdom on that issue was sidestand.
Old 10-05-06, 03:07 PM   #3
jim@55

im going to the nw200 tomorrow and i think the ferry companies do it all for u,just leave it in gear and 1 strap/tiedown over the seat.put your gloves over the seat and under the strap/tiedown thingy ,or so iv been told ,,anyone maybe shed some light on this ??
Old 10-05-06, 03:07 PM   #4
Stig

The straps are provided as are the "cushions". I would hang around and do the strapping down yourself if I were you. They don't seem to be that sympathetic about paintwork and things. I have also seen a bike on it's side when we came back to the bikes and it was one of the deck crew that had strapped it down.
Old 10-05-06, 03:24 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

There was an article on this in a magazine a while ago.

They reckoned it was best to let the ferry company guys get on with it. But to leave your bike in gear and also bunge or strap the side stand so that if the bike does move the stand doesnt fly up and your bike doesnt fall over.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 03:41 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
The straps are provided as are the "cushions". I would hang around and do the strapping down yourself if I were you. They don't seem to be that sympathetic about paintwork and things. I have also seen a bike on it's side when we came back to the bikes and it was one of the deck crew that had strapped it down.
I personaly would not do it yourself, if you do then they can get out of their liability to you in case of damage. Let them do it and watch them.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 03:47 PM   #7
DanDare

My missus went to France once and they didn't have any straps.

I you get stuck, speak kindly to a lorry driver he may have some.
I think she said the driver suggested using the strap and attach to his lorry as it was quite choppy on the way over.

HTH

Enjoy your trip
Old 10-05-06, 05:02 PM   #8
haggis

Using your gloves alone is not enough to protect your seat/paintwork. They are put under pretty big tension and it would knacker any glove with carbon inserts for example.

The ferry guys know what they're doing. They usually put a thick layer of cardboard or rug over your seat first. Make sure they do or the strap can split the seat fabric as happened on a mates Bandit6.

The other thing is......

Deckpaint! Be careful, if it's wet it's treacherous! Gentle back brake only. The word of experience!
Old 10-05-06, 05:05 PM   #9
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
I personaly would not do it yourself, if you do then they can get out of their liability to you in case of damage. Let them do it and watch them.
Yeah well I guess I just look at it from the point of view that I am the one strapping it down, so I KNOW that there will be no damage and it will be done properly.
Old 10-05-06, 09:28 PM   #10
skidmarx

If it was me I would do it myself.....a prolonged legal tussle is no good to you when all you want is a few days away. They usually have the straps in a big bin thing so help yourself to plenty. If not then you really are stuffed! Think Camping and make a tent. Port and Starboard strapping is a waste of time if the ferry is pitching and rolling, Fore and Aft is not good in a swell. You need one over the top via the seat ( with a glove whatever if your that bothered about a bit of muck) AND some ties at 45 degrees to the bike to stop it moving for and aft. The bloody straps DO work loose so in gear and the sidestand will work for you. If you have a calm crossing then go eat, if not then camp out with the bike. Is it beyond the wit of man/women to think of something better? Its a disgrace i tell you...we should have iron boxes filled with Cheesy wotsits for packing.......