SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-19, 01:10 PM   #41
Othen

Default Re: Exhaust Muffler

... I decided I would renovate the Fuel muffler after all, and ordered some wadding the same size as the original for £6.99 - which I thought an acceptable investment. It arrived in the mail yesterday and I found time to fit it this afternoon.
Here is all one needs to re-pack a Fuel muffler:

(Well almost - I forgot to put the rivet gun in the photo).
It took just a few minutes to knock the two end cans off with a rubber mallet and wrap the new wadding round the central pipe:

And maybe another 20 minutes to get it all buttoned up. I had both in the garage, but chose aluminium rather than SS 4x10mm rivets. I’m quite happy with the finished job:

It all looks quite smart. The only problem is I like the standard muffler I swapped back to the other day, so the Fuel item is somewhat surplus. I suppose I offer the Fuel muffler for sale, I’m sure there will be someone looking for a loud exhaust (unfortunately it is too noisy for me).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25-04-19, 02:17 PM   #42
glang

Do you think you could have squeezed in more layers of packing (dont know if this would improve or worsen the sound reduction)?
And now of course your bike might run considerably quieter with this can......
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 02:32 PM   #43
Othen

Default Exhaust Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Do you think you could have squeezed in more layers of packing (dont know if this would improve or worsen the sound reduction)?
And now of course your bike might run considerably quieter with this can......

I could have squeezed in a little more wadding by compressing it, but I think it is supposed to fit without being very tightly packed. It may be that my bike might run much quieter with the re-packed Fuel muffler, but as you know I’m really happy with the original, which has achieved the aim (quiet) without losing any performance- and I think it looks okay, so I’m not really tempted to re-fit the Fuel muffler just to try it out.

I’ve put the muffler in the spares box, if I don’t have a change of heart in the next few weeks I suppose I’ll put it on eBay so maybe someone else might get some use out if it.

Last edited by Othen; 25-04-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 25-04-19, 03:22 PM   #44
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I could have squeezed in a little more wadding by compressing it, but I think it is supposed to fit without being very tightly packed. It may be that my bike might run much quieter with the re-packed Fuel muffler, but as you know I’m really happy with the original, which has achieved the aim (quiet) without losing any performance- and I think it looks okay, so I’m not really tempted to re-fit the Fuel muffler just to try it out.

I’ve put the muffler in the spares box, if I don’t have a change of heart in the next few weeks I suppose I’ll put it on eBay so maybe someone else might get some use out if it.

Addendum: I’ve just had a look on eBay and seen pretty scruffy Fuel exhausts selling for £80 - having seen that I’ll certainly sell it!

Old 26-04-19, 10:48 AM   #45
Othen

Default Exhaust Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
With all the work you have done on the bike have you checked the Carb/fuel bodies are correctly balanced?

Not only does it make a big difference to vibrations and comfort it also affects MPG.

Many thanks for that R1ffR4ff,

I’ve just started going through checks on the fuel system. This morn I’ve changed the air filter to a new disposable one I had (vice the K&N filter that came with the bike, which I had previously cleaned and oiled). I’m pretty sure the K&N filter was fine, but I wanted to make sure I was starting from a good baseline with a new filter. I suspect I’ll clean the K&N then return it to the bike at next year’s service.

I have also completed the TPS check procedure that I found in these pages (and an excellent description it was). Much to my surprise (for a 13 year old bike) the TPS was spot on and needed no adjustment whatsoever.

I think the next thing to check will be the fast idle adjustment (although I have no reason to suspect it is not working right - the bike idles from cold now the standard muffler has been re-fitted), and then the throttle bodies balance. I will need a manometer for that (I know somewhere I can borrow one). As both those checks will require similar stripping for access I’ll leave them until I have the manometer here (in the next fortnight I should think). In the meantime I’ll try to build up a bit more data on performance with the new air filter fitted (by riding it a bit and checking the gas consumption).

I’m fairly confident the fuel system is operating pretty close to what is required because the bike starts well, ticks over as it should, and runs right up to the limiter under load with no glitches. At first sight the fuel consumption seems a bit higher than others, this may because I don’t have much data to go on yet (and so there may be some errors in measurement) or just because it is a higher mileage bike (but it is not using any oil, compression is good and the valve gear isn’t noisy).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 26-04-19 at 01:37 PM.
Old 20-05-19, 12:07 PM   #46
Othen

... now that I’ve re-fitted the original muffler and adjusted the fast idle my K6 is nicely quiet, here is the proof:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ask6E_1jz4xIymxQLvlxPqpBg4yp