SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-05-16, 09:12 PM   #11
tom_e

Default Re: Where do you buy oil from?

If you're changing the filter you'll need 2.7lt of oil rather than the 2.3 you find quoted in most places. I use hiflo filters and get my oil from wherever has the best offer on something like castrol at the time.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-16, 09:59 PM   #12
madcockney

I would have no issues with Smith and Allan oils and I know others that have used it. They are a main Shell distributor and reckon that it is to the same standard as the Shell top semi synthetic bike oil. They were going to produce a fully synthetic bike oil but found that they could not produce at a significant enough lesser price than the Shell product to make it attractive to purchasers.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-16, 10:51 PM   #13
ZER0

Thanks guys. Lots of info.

I'll probably just use the 5lt Halfords if it's pretty much the same as I can use a trade card.

It's 'part' synthetic, is that the same as 'semi'?
Old 25-05-16, 09:52 AM   #14
madcockney

It is, though different companies tend to use it for marketing purposes. Morris Lubricants for instance do a Semi and a Part, two versions of the 10w40 bike oil, and they confirmed that they were both semi-synthetic so I can only think that it is a part of their marketing strategy to differentiate between them. I have used Halfords 10w40 semi/part on many occasions and have never had an issue and if you have a trade card then the discount will be significant.
Old 25-05-16, 10:14 AM   #15
embee
Mega Poster

Just as a throw away, I sometimes use http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ when their offers are competitive because they stock some products which aren't widely available. They do discounts for various clubs, which fortunately I can get. Their prices aren't usually all that good when postage is included, but they do offers with free postage or special discounts now and then. Just another option.

Also as another aside, I use http://www.eurocarparts.com/ for a lot of car stuff, and they have recently started doing bike batteries which might be of interest to some. I don't see bike oils on there yet (maybe one day). The big thing with this company site is you must check the front page whenever ordering because the offers change daily, sometimes discounts are added automatically and sometimes you have to enter codes. At the moment there is a 25% discount on service items, but as said it changes daily. They generally have the best prices I've found for proper branded car batteries.
Old 25-05-16, 10:55 AM   #16
madcockney

Actually Euro Car Parts do motorcycle oil, "Shell Advance", but only appear to do it on Ebay. I have come across a few things that they only do via Ebay or Amazon and sometimes you will find different prices between their shops, Ebay, Amazon, and their own on-line shop so it is worth checking all.

Opie oils have a good rep and as stated by embee they often have hard to get items, but even with club discounts I can normally get less expensive elsewhere, and as with Smith & Allan by the time you add the delivery costs it is often cheaper to buy locally or on Amazon. I believe that Smith & Allan supply some clubs or groups of riders with 45 gallon drums when I should imagine it becomes more cost effective.

Old 25-05-16, 12:18 PM   #17
aesmith

If it's the same company, Smith and Allan have their own brand motorcycle oil on Ebay for £18.49 with free postage.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-16, 12:39 PM   #18
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
If it's the same company, Smith and Allan have their own brand motorcycle oil on Ebay for £18.49 with free postage.
Yeah. It's the same and much cheaper on ebay at that price. Using Smith & Allen's own website, it works out at over £22 once VAT and delivery have been added.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-16, 01:01 PM   #19
Fen Tiger

I order via e bay, normally from Opie Oils as the nearest Halfords is a 25 mile round trip. Am using Silkolene Comp 4 for the SV. Not cheapest at about £35 for 4ltrs but am happy with it.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote