SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-09-08, 09:59 PM   #1
SV-net

Default Stack Overflow In Line 0 - Anybody know what this is please?

Just had this appear up on my screen:-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Message.jpg (18.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-09-08, 10:04 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stack Overflow In Line 0 - Anybody know what this is please?

ooo a vi****e problem

its realy easy to fix, just downgrade to XP

aparently its a javascript problem when browsing
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 11:15 PM   #3
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

hmmm, I switched to firefox a while back - top browser! and yeah, vista is rubbish so get xp pro!

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 04:48 PM   #4
Baph

Avoiding the carp posted above about multiple OS' & getting back to the OP...

The error is a well known javascript bug in the Vista version of Internet Explorer.

Change your browser, and the issue goes away. I'd reccomend either FireFox or Chrome.
Old 03-09-08, 05:16 PM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

I've debugged a number of sites with this error message before, always different reasons and never specifically down to IE in my experience.

Two common faults were down to the presence of the CA security suite, another was a script bug on the web server and a further couple were down to a third party pop-up blocker bug. In all cases removing or fixing the bug resolved the problem.

Last edited by fizzwheel; 03-09-08 at 07:47 PM.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 05:19 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
Two common faults were down to the presence of the CA security suite, another was a script bug on the web server and a further couple were down to a third party pop-up blocker bug. In all cases removing or fixing the bug resolved the problem.
Granted, but I'm working on the assumption that the OP doesn't have priviledges to change the JS code on the server. Of course, that's a large assumption as the screenshot doesn't detail the server.

Therefore, using a different (and IMO better) browser is another resolution to the issue. Specifically in the case of Chrome, where JS code is optimised into machine code & cached before execution, this issue should never be present (if it is, the sandboxing of threads would rule out any negative effects other than a popup).
Old 03-09-08, 07:46 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Lets try and keep this on topic and knock it off with the digs about txt speak its not helpful and anything useful in this thread is just going to get lost.

Ta

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 07:46 PM   #8
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Granted, but I'm working on the assumption that the OP doesn't have priviledges to change the JS code on the server. Of course, that's a large assumption as the screenshot doesn't detail the server.

Therefore, using a different (and IMO better) browser is another resolution to the issue. Specifically in the case of Chrome, where JS code is optimised into machine code & cached before execution, this issue should never be present (if it is, the sandboxing of threads would rule out any negative effects other than a popup).
I'm not arguing with you Baph, particularly on the ins and outs of which browser feature is better for each etc but from experience I've learnt that there are often many different causes to problems. Just because one browser is affected and works in a particular way does not mean that its the browser at fault.

If somebody codes a site and does not thoroughly test it against IE, Firefox and any other popularly used browser then that surely is down to the site developer?

I've seen faults with IE, Firefox and even Chrome today during internal site testing so none of them are perfect.

To bring this back to the original question my comments relevance was only that moving to Firefox may hide the issue causing IE to error but it doesnt necessarily fix it.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 06:52 AM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
...sutff...
I agree completely, just that from a home user perspective, generally you can't edit the websites you visit. So you can get around sloppy code by changing the browser usually.

T'is a workaround, not a fix.

SV-net, any joy yet?