SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-01-10, 11:27 AM   #1
Surfjayce

Default how to drain the fuel?

Ok so im feeling a little thick here but how to i drain the fuel from my 05 pointy? i can see how to take the tank off but then what, do i need to remove the fuel pump or can i drain it without removing it?
Surfjayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-10, 11:59 AM   #2
maff

Default Re: how to drain the fuel?

if youre just removing the tank there is no need to drain the fuel.

just keep a rag over the fuel pipe coming from the tank to catch what little fuel does come out
Old 23-01-10, 12:47 PM   #3
Surfjayce

nah i actually wanted to drain the fuel, the bike was sounding pooorly bad and wouldnt stay started so i figured the fuel was a lil old and wanted to drain it, BUT after takin the tank off and refitting it again it started and stayed started, it still sounded like it had the flu so i decided (prob a risky move) to take it around the block and low n behold after a few minutes she decided to wake up (felt like an old tzr hitting the power band lol) everything sounds back to normal now but im thinking i should get some fresh fuel and maybe a redex treatment just to clear any potential crap in it, ??? yes?
Old 23-01-10, 01:01 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Fresh fuel yes, redex...probably not Maybe use some shell V-power or something similar. Most fuels have detergents and other additives to keep the fuel systems clean - if your bike has been standing for a while, then a sort of gunk can collect in smaller apertures. You've probably got this pretty much cleared out now if the bike has been running. Go out and get a few litres of fuel through the bike

btw, its not a stupid question..i just asked my dad a similar thing regarding my SV
Old 24-01-10, 02:07 PM   #5
Surfjayce

i was doubting redex too as everyone goes on about how great it is for carbs which is no good to me, after havin a looksy around halfords i found a one shot fuel treatment by STP just for injectors so result, cant hurt i guess
Old 24-01-10, 02:52 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Yup a tank of the expensive fuel every now and again seems to help.
I put a tank of the stuff in during the winter, when mine feel a bit grumpy. Seems to do trick. Wouldn't use redex.

ORRRRRRRR you could syphon the fuel out....don't taste nice though

EWWWW!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote