SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-05-13, 12:12 PM   #1
BigV

Default Bike not being used for a while - drain fuel etc?

Hi,

My SV650 needs a new chain and sprockets, but due to financial constraints...I have been unable to take her in to get them replaced. Bike has been sitting for a month already and I start her once a week and let her idle for about 5mins.

It's probably going to be another month before I can take her in...but a friend recommended I try get the remaining fuel out as it can mess up the carbs? I have a battery saver connected so this maintains the battery...but if there really a danger from leaving the fuel in and it 'crystalising'?

Is a weekly start and running of the engine for 5 mins in neutral sufficient?
Old 14-05-13, 12:19 PM   #2
TheRuffellator

Default Re: Bike not being used for a while - drain fuel etc?

I'm not sure about the fuel question but from what I've heard in the past doing short journeys and not letting a bike run properly can cause condensation in the engine.. which obviously isn't a good thing! My old 50 was sat in the garage for about 7 months without being started and still had nearly a full tank, started fine again when we took it out to be sold.
Old 14-05-13, 12:20 PM   #3
Popy Fresco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hi,

My SV650 needs a new chain and sprockets, but due to financial constraints...I have been unable to take her in to get them replaced. Bike has been sitting for a month already and I start her once a week and let her idle for about 5mins.

It's probably going to be another month before I can take her in...but a friend recommended I try get the remaining fuel out as it can mess up the carbs? I have a battery saver connected so this maintains the battery...but if there really a danger from leaving the fuel in and it 'crystalising'?

Is a weekly start and running of the engine for 5 mins in neutral sufficient?
Nope, as far as i know it's better to leave the battery disconected than starting it and leaving it on idle. Baterry won't recharge untill you get up to 3.5k (?) rpm.

If you leave the tank empty it could rust; so better idea is to keep it full and before start using it again, replace it.

If it's more than a month i'd recomend to lift it up so the tyres don't touch the floor
Popy Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 12:27 PM   #4
aesmith

I've left fuel for months, for example in the lawnmower from last October, or in the outboard motor for similar lengths of time. I'm not convinced it's a problem. If you're concerned, a compromise would be to empty the carbs by shutting the fuel off and leaving it to tickover till the engine stops.

I don't favour running the engine for a short time. It doesn't warm up, and can increase the risk of condensation or water on it's innards. My recommended layup procedure would be to run the engine till it's good and hot, then change the oil so it's going to be sitting with nice clean oil inside. Then give a squirt of something either into the intakes or via the plug holes. You can get special "fogging oil" designed for this purpose, or a squirt of WD40 would be better than nothing.

Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 12:54 PM   #5
BigV

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated
Old 14-05-13, 01:07 PM   #6
TheRuffellator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popy Fresco View Post
If it's more than a month i'd recomend to lift it up so the tyres don't touch the floor
+1 for that
Old 14-05-13, 01:18 PM   #7
BigV

Will the tyres get flat spots?
Old 14-05-13, 01:26 PM   #8
TheRuffellator

It can cause flat spots and sections of the tyre (Specifically the bit touching the floor) to be harder than the rest of it. How long it actually takes for that to happen.. I don't know
Old 14-05-13, 01:47 PM   #9
BigV

Hmm, I will watch out for this
Old 14-05-13, 02:17 PM   #10
jonny.boyd

Agree with aesmith in regards to starting it for such short periods of time - can actually cause more damage than it solves! If the bike is continually not getting up to temperature it can cause your oil to go creamy (caused by condensation in engine). Better off just leaving it on an optimate and not touching it.

Also I've read that leaving the fuel tank full is best as this can prevent rust and corrosion occurring.

HTH
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote