SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-05-06, 10:24 AM   #1
Gnan

Default glasses

hi

i need glasses and i work at a computer regularly... i know my employer is responsible for the cost of the eye test but are they responsible for the cost of the glasses?
Old 04-05-06, 10:26 AM   #2
Cloggsy

Default Re: glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnan
hi

i need glasses and i work at a computer regularly... i know my employer is responsible for the cost of the eye test but are they responsible for the cost of the glasses?
In my former job, work used to provide me with some lovely 'Joe 90' style glasses, however, I chose not to wear them
Old 04-05-06, 10:26 AM   #3
Filipe M.

Quote:
hi

Hey, please someone answer this, I wouldn't mind for someone else to pay for my contact lenses!
Old 04-05-06, 10:28 AM   #4
Gnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
Quote:
hi

In my former job, work used to provide me with some lovely 'Joe 90' style glasses, however, I chose not to wear them
they're back in now! you could have banged them on eBay for a few quid
Old 04-05-06, 10:30 AM   #5
sharriso74

A lot of companies do a voucher system I think they pay for your test and £50 towards your glasses or however much the nasty NHS ones cost.
Old 04-05-06, 11:07 AM   #6
El Saxo

Found this which should be of use to you. Scroll down to the bit about Employer's obligations...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf (link to PDF file from the HSE website).

Basically looks they they only have to pay for corrective glasses / lenses if thy're specifically prescribed for VDU use.
Old 04-05-06, 11:10 AM   #7
Terence

you're probably best off checking with your HR department and referring to your T's & C's of Employment (contract)

HTH
Terence
Old 04-05-06, 11:22 AM   #8
diamond

I get my prescription safety glasses payed for but i have to pay for my normal glasses.
Old 04-05-06, 11:49 AM   #9
lynw

If you needed glasses prior to working for them then no. Your eyesight was already defective, they are only liable for the eye test.

If your eyesight has become defective because of prolonged vdu use, and the eye test states that then I believe they are. Based on HMRC policy here.

But with £11,000 in savings I think you can afford a pair that look better than the prescription ones your company will pay for. :P
Old 04-05-06, 11:59 AM   #10
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
Quote:
hi

Oi! My glasses are better than those!

Ive been nicknamed Joe 90 for years and years... thought id escaped it until i was in Manchester over the weekend and some lad cracked onto me using that as his opening line.. needless to say he didnt get anywhere.