SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-04-05, 06:25 PM   #51
Dicky Ticker

Default AS PER

A good point raised by Fraser, even the VOSA test station I asked could not give a 100% fact answer as one set of regulations seem to contradict the next ammended set,so although we may be legal under the one regulation we are illegal under another

As a matter of interest I took my bike to the local MOT place today and asked if it would pass the MOT with the Wolf exhaust on[Unbaffled]
The reply 50/50 But if I re-instal the end baffle 100%

As a lot of aftermarket exhausts operate the removable baffle system i am of the mind this is the way to go

Personally I keep mine under the tail and although I run with the baffle removed, if I get stopped I can refit it in 30seconds it will be up to the discreation of the officer whether I am nicked or not

Judging by the number of SV'ers I have met I think more than a few
run illegal exhausts You pays your money and take your chance
Old 25-04-05, 03:45 PM   #52
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
so here is another question.

what if i get caught with a racecan.

i get a fine and a rectification notice.

once i put the standard can on again, get it checked out.

what happens if i put the race can on again and get caught again ?
Ok, soz for bringing this up again but I'm interested in this one. What exactly can happen if you get stopped for having a racecan? I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this one. Whats a rectification notice?
Old 25-04-05, 03:46 PM   #53
Iansv

I believe..... Could be wrong.... Thats its recorded against your registration so if you are caught again for the same thing it goes further but I've never met anyone who has so don't know the penalty
Old 25-04-05, 03:55 PM   #54
Mervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Whats a rectification notice?
You still get reported for having a noisy can, but if you take part in the rectification scheme, you get 14 days to get your bike road legal and have it inspected by a DOT garage.

You have to get the rectification notice stamped by the garage and then you send this to the cop shop.

If you fail to do this within 14 days, you'll get summonsed/fined/etc for the can.

If you comply with the rectification notice, any report of you and your noisy can gets scrapped.

So, in theory, you could just bung your standard can back on and get the bike inspected, job done. Get home, and put your noisy can back on. However, next time you get stopped, there will be a record of the initial rectification notice inssued and there's a decent chance you'll just get reported without the rectification scheme being offered a second time.
Old 25-04-05, 06:13 PM   #55
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin
So, in theory, you could just bung your standard can back on and get the bike inspected, job done. Get home, and put your noisy can back on. However, next time you get stopped, there will be a record of the initial rectification notice inssued and there's a decent chance you'll just get reported without the rectification scheme being offered a second time.
Ok, so say this happens, are we talking fines or points? And if so how much/many?

Cheers for the info!
Old 25-04-05, 06:21 PM   #56
Couerdelion

AFAIK it's a £30 fine. No points.
Old 25-04-05, 11:39 PM   #57
Mervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couerdelion
AFAIK it's a £30 fine. No points.
I think so too.

If your bike has a history of noisy cans, you could get a summons and maybe points too!
Old 03-05-05, 09:29 PM   #58
busasean

got a £30 fine for no. plate yesterday due to the letters not being the correct space and font, even though the plate itself is a legal size. yes its illegal and yes its tough titty, but.......... how does it affect road safety? as i said to the copper, its a shame that they dont get their priorities sorted, when we were burgled last yr, no one would attend untill the following day, which was a bit late had the scrote still been in the place. still,.... i dont suppose it makes them any money and it involves doing some work! Traffic coppers?? parasites the bloody lot of them!
Old 03-05-05, 10:45 PM   #59
northwind
Mega Poster

Definition of parasites being "People who do their jobs", obviously.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 06:58 PM   #60
busasean

yes the same parasites who did their job and caught the scrote who burgled our place(not), who caught the people who stole my 1st new bike(not), who gave the guy in the stolen car who totalled my 4 week old zxr a producer and then let him go, even though he was wanted for 13 car thefts and the car was on the pnc as stolen for 43 days. (yes really!!!) the same parasites who you read about in the papers every day as doing their jobs. by the way i'm not anti police as my brother is a copper and his wife is a chief inspector. i'm anti traffic police and very anti money collecting instead of dealing with the issues that the public need sorting!!!