SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-09-20, 01:12 PM   #1
svenrico

Default crash/fall over protection

Any recommendations on protection of the bike as regards engine crash bungs or engine bars ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 02:24 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: crash/fall over protection

R&G frame sliders and you can get bobbins and barends too (less important that they are genuine R&G I'd say)
Old 16-09-20, 05:55 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

In my experience, crash bungs are good for fall-over protection, but not for actual crashes. My previous SV rolled off its stand and hit the deck, the R&G bungs fitted by the previous owner saved the fairing, indicators, levers etc from getting scratched / broken. The only damage was the toe peg of the gear lever broke off.

However, in a 45mph lowside on spilled diesel, the bungs didn't save any damage.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 06:20 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
In my experience, crash bungs are good for fall-over protection, but not for actual crashes. My previous SV rolled off its stand and hit the deck, the R&G bungs fitted by the previous owner saved the fairing, indicators, levers etc from getting scratched / broken. The only damage was the toe peg of the gear lever broke off.

However, in a 45mph lowside on spilled diesel, the bungs didn't save any damage.
To be fair, for a few quid saving the fairing is probably worth it. More so if the clutch lever goes and you have to get recovered home.

Depends how much they cost I guess - there used to be some recommended on this forum that were cheaper than R&G , they're what I bought. Doubt they still make them for some reason.
Previous owner fitted R&G to my current SV
Old 17-09-20, 12:09 PM   #5
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

I've got GB moto on the street, had a 30ish mph slide/high side with the bike ending up in a bush. Usual lever damage but everything else was saved. Bung was bent, as it should do.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 12:18 PM   #6
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Any recommendations on protection of the bike as regards engine crash bungs or engine bars ?
For engine protection, I think engine bars are always a good solution, it just so happens I have a set (SW Motech) that I have just removed from my 2018 SV (so will fit your bike). When I bought the bike last year I thought I might use it for occasional winter commuting so wanted good protection, not planning on commuting on it in future so have gone for a more stripped down look. Looks like we live in the same county, so would be easy to get them to you, if interested.

They are in excellent overall condition.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 03:53 PM   #7
yokohama

I got a full set of engine and axle sliders for my Yamaha from here. https://www.jaybeebikerbits.co.uk/
They do engine sliders for the SV too. They even offer free replacements - the bungs not the bike ��- if you wreck them in a crash. Thankfully, I've never had to take advantage of that service.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 04:36 PM   #8
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I got a full set of engine and axle sliders for my Yamaha from here. https://www.jaybeebikerbits.co.uk/
They do engine sliders for the SV too. They even offer free replacements - the bungs not the bike ��- if you wreck them in a crash. Thankfully, I've never had to take advantage of that service.
I just bought a set last month and wasn't aware of the free replacement offer so thats (sort of ) nice to know, thanks
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 07:30 PM   #9
gadget

I have a curvy 'S' and the kit on mine use the two upper sets of engine bolts, so basically they have double the fixing points joined by a thick alloy bar which the actual slider mounts to in between the two engine mounting points, it certainly looks like it will do the job in the event of a fall over , not sure about the actual nylon slider itself surviving but not planning on finding out anytime soon!
I have rear paddock stand bobbins to save the swingarm but nothing to save the Delkevic!
Btw ... sorry to hijack here but is there anything out there (slider wise) that somehow fits to the front axle? Haven't seen anything, is it because it's a solid axle so nothing can go through it?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 09:11 PM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I've got Motosliders on my curvy, and having thrown it down the road a few times, they very much do work. I also have the swingarm bobbin ones, which I got out of mindless optimism frankly, but they did touch down.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote