SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-07-13, 10:54 AM   #1
Leeb

Default Pointy selling advice?

Hi People,

I've not been on here for a while and not posted much, but I'm after a bit of advice on value of my bike?

It's a K5 naked with 40k miles, with a few extra's, belly pan, hugger, Fuel exhaust, seat cowl, R&G crash bungs etc etc. Now I'm considering selling it, but have no idea on value.

The reason I might be selling is I anticipate a large bill come Sept when it's MOT is due and not sure it's worth it, considering it's miles. It needs a service, MOT, new front discs and pads, new battery, new tyres, new indicators etc so I think all in all this will cost me over 1k if I take it to my local garage, so I'm not sure it's worth it?

It's been my commuting bike for the last 4.5 years and served me very very well, other than routine servicing and new batteries tyres etc it's never once let me down. The bike is looking ok, a bit tired as you can expect from the miles, no dents or anything, and the only bit of rust is a few bubbles on forks and a few rusty bolts.

webuyanybike have offered me 1k, which I didn't think was that bad. I guess I could try and sell privately for a tad more, but I'm guessing it'll only suit someone mechanically minded who's willing to carry out the work themselves.

Your thoughts would be welcome...
Old 29-07-13, 10:03 PM   #2
paiste

Default Pointy selling advice?

Not wanting to put a downer on you, but we buy any bike will knock you down a fair bit from the initial price they give you when they come to view.
If it does need all you say doing to it I personally wouldn't want to pay more than 1k.
Old 29-07-13, 10:11 PM   #3
savage86

Default Re: Pointy selling advice?

Well considering my mate picked up a pointy k5, as new condition, 3,000 miles so just ran in, they gave it a full service, had tax and mot. All for the princely sum of 2100 and that was a dealer.

Stay away from the likes of webuystuff.com and stick it on some free web site or local rag and let some newbie take it off your hands. I wouldn't give you more than 750 considering what it needs done to it.

Why not replace the bits yourself and keep it, ain't that hard to do what you've listed.
Old 29-07-13, 11:12 PM   #4
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

could go part worn tyres depending on age of the rubber, new disc's aren't insanely expensive and doing the pads/discs yourself would knock an hours labour off - when you say new indicators is it new amber bulbs as the old ones have started to flash more of a faint yellow light? Or do they need fully new indicator housings because the old ones are fecked? Either way it's pence for bulbs, £20 for LED indicators & resistor, or possibly similar for OE indicators from a breakers... Is the battery actually fooked or are you just replacing as preventative maintenance?

Sounds like the biggest issue to sort would be any serious rust on the forks/fecked bolts which are hard to get off in order to replace any bits. Got any pics of the bike?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-13, 11:27 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

[QUOTE=Leeb;2890737]
It's a K5 naked with 40k miles, with a few extra's, belly pan, hugger, Fuel exhaust, seat cowl, R&G crash bungs etc etc. Now I'm considering selling it, but have no idea on value.

The reason I might be selling is I anticipate a large bill come Sept when it's MOT is due and not sure it's worth it, considering it's miles. It needs a service, MOT, new front discs and pads, new battery, new tyres, new indicators etc so I think all in all this will cost me over 1k if I take it to my local garage, so I'm not sure it's worth it?

QUOTE]

Service is pennies to do yourself-£20 for the oil, £12 for an oil filter, £25 for an air filter (if it needs changing)
MOT £35
New discs? have you measured them? IIRC when new they are just over 4mm, min thickness IIRC is just over 3mm
New indicators? what's up with them?
New pads £20 a side
Battery £50
Tyres can get a new set for £130

Best to price up what is costs to replace stuff that needs replacing vs selling the bike and getting a new one. There's lots you can do to save yourself money and not getting the garage to do it. The only 2 things on the list I would have a garage do is fitting the tyres and doing the MOT.

Just a heads up. it's worth more than 1k. Its at average mileage and by the sounds of it is in above average condition with a few extras on it too.

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 29-07-13 at 11:29 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-13, 01:01 PM   #6
Leeb

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Don't worry, I won't be selling to the 'webuyanystuff' people, I only did it to get an indication on value. I hadn't realised though that they will haggle you down, I thought the price quoted, was the price you get.

I know I should/could do the bits myself, but I'm really not confident with anything like that, my mechanic knowledge pretty much stops at lubing chain, checking oil level and tyre pressures. Plus I have no tools/stands what so ever.

Brake discs and indicators will definitely need changing (both advisory on MOT last year). The indicators are aftermarket ones, have leaked water in, are too yellow (for MOT) and are also only sporadically working, so maybe a wiring issue too.

Your right about the brake disc prices though, less than I thought, just had a quote for OEM for just over £200. I remember changing discs on my Daytona a few years ago that cost nearly £500!!

The rust isn't that bad I need to worry (I don't think), like a say, just a bit bubbly on forks and a few rusty bolts. I have used ACF-50 every winter which has kept the rust to a minimum.

As you say I just need to weigh up the costs of getting it through the MOT and the cost of replacing it. I've got about 6 weeks to ponder.

I haven't got any recent pics of the bike, only ones from about 4 years ago, but that's no use to anyone I guess?!?