SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-08, 12:11 PM   #1
riktherider

Default Nifty little gizmo

Found this on an american fourm....lets you see the REAL speed. pretty good for all you pointy lovers, as it cant be used on the curvy! handy as well if you plan on going abroad as it converts mph to kph realtime!

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product...roductid=30538

apparently it works really well, well worth the money i think!
Old 13-10-08, 12:14 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Nifty little gizmo

Why can't it be used on curvy?

And can't you change the pointy over to kmh anyway?
Old 13-10-08, 12:18 PM   #3
riktherider

well i dont have a curvy, so didnt know! well i pressume its for digital clocks, as you can convert to kph, as with the curvy you have to get the stick on dial thingys.

would be nice to see the exact speed your doing though!
Old 13-10-08, 12:26 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Curvy is a digital clock too Just it outputs as a dial... (with kph writtin in the middle too....)
Old 13-10-08, 12:38 PM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Why can't it be used on curvy?

And can't you change the pointy over to kmh anyway?
Yes, just push the buttons correctly
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-08, 12:52 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

1) You can get these in the UK, been available for many years now.

2) The Pointys can switch between MPH and KMH anyway.

3) You can get them to work on Curvy's as the speedo is electronic just like the Pointy.

4) It makes an educated guess to what your correct speed is, funnily enough that is basically what the OEM does.
Old 13-10-08, 03:28 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
4) It makes an educated guess to what your correct speed is, funnily enough that is basically what the OEM does.
was wondering about them, and how accurate they are going to be. i.e. what makes them any more accurate than stock, do you need a Police issue radar gun in order to set them up
What do you get in the kit? would these be sufficient for a gixxer front end conversion i.e. starting with no speedo? I suspect not.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-08, 03:42 PM   #8
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
was wondering about them, and how accurate they are going to be. i.e. what makes them any more accurate than stock, do you need a Police issue radar gun in order to set them up
To set it up 100% accurately, I would say yes, or something along those lines (Very accurate GPS unit), on the speedohealer site there are several methods for doing it. Either put a KNOWN accurate speed in (from a GPS or radar gun) and enter what the speedo was showing, or get it to guess what the correction should be, based on sprocket and wheel size)

Quote:
What do you get in the kit? would these be sufficient for a gixxer front end conversion i.e. starting with no speedo? I suspect not.
No, it doesn't have any sort of pickup, it's to go in-line with your existing speedo setup. Useful if you've changed your sprockets though.
Old 13-10-08, 03:54 PM   #9
mister c
Mega Poster

Fast Bikes have fitted one to their long term FZ1. This what they had to say.

"
So, what about this month? The down-gearing changes I made in the last issue are continuing to impress, but changing the sprocket sizes does result in an inaccurate speedo reading. Thankfully, down-gearing means that your speedo over reads, so as long as you’re showing the speed limit on the clocks as you pass Gatsos, you know you’re well under the limit – up-gearing leaves your bumhole a bit flappier unless you do the maths first.
The best thing to do is remove all the doubt and confusion, and fit a Speedo Healer from Bikersdiscountstore.co.uk. The neat little unit is an absolute doddle to fit, taking less than 20 minutes to mount neatly under your seat unit, and two minutes to program it.
The changes I’ve made in gearing (one tooth off the front) require a compensation of 5.9%, but the excellent online calculator also factors in the manufacturer’s leeway, and so 10.9% would mean a near as dammit spot on reading from your clocks.
I’ve erred mildly on the side of caution and licence preservation, and dialled in 8%. The best thing of course is that you can change your gearing as many times as you like, by whatever margin you like, and just keep reprogramming the unit, which takes moments. This new V4 healer is a massive improvement over the old unit - much easier to set up, and smaller."
Not very interesting, but hey
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-08, 05:37 PM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Very accurate GPS unit
Not available in the civilian market, no matter what sales blurb you believe they are not much more accurate than the OEM speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
from a GPS or radar gun
We all know how inaccurate they have been in the past, and in some cases still are.