SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-12, 08:21 AM   #1
granty92

Default Better fuel injectors?

i have a mate with a 2005 sv and he has just ordered some better injectors apparently, what are these and what will they do to his bike?
Old 31-07-12, 03:46 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: fuel injectors

That depends entirely on "better", and what he's doing.

Injectors spend a percentage of time open & closed, determined by the ECU, based on the fuel map, and inputs from all the sensors. Your stock injectors will be able to supply enough fuel to satisfy the worst case scenario that the manufacturer put on the map.

If you tune an engine to make more power, a lot of the time you will require more fuel than standard, once the injectors are open over a certain percentage of the time (depends on who made them, but figures north of about 80% open from memory) they start getting hot, and having trouble accurately fueling. Eventually they cannot supply enough fuel and the motor will be running lean, and thus getting hot.

If you fit injectors that can flow more fuel, and then re-map to have them open less for a given scenario, you get the same amount of fuel flow, but with the capacity to go further. So this is one of the steps you get to if you start tuning an engine past a given point.

That you could tune an SV650 engine to the point that the injectors weren't man enough is quite unlikely as they've been fine with some pretty aggressive cams, over-bores, race exhausts and filters.

Has your mate bought bored out throttle bodies by any chance? These are available, and I mention it as while the injector isn't replaced, it is something people have done, to increase the amount of fuel/air mix that can be supplied to the engine.

Jambo

Last edited by jambo; 31-07-12 at 03:49 PM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-12, 05:51 PM   #3
mikerj

Default Re: Better fuel injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by granty92 View Post
i have a mate with a 2005 sv and he has just ordered some better injectors apparently, what are these and what will they do to his bike?

Make it run like a pig and use lots of fuel for no good reason I suspect
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 03:39 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The stock is like 330ml/min @ 100% DC.
Honestly that is enough. It would work out to providing about 600hp...

On question of what will "better" injectors do... well unless his are broken, fitting higher flow ones without need will mean it either gobbles juice unless set up for it, or if you set up for it it will make the low end throttle crap as you only have a certain resolution of control, so the injector should be matched to requirement.

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 02-08-12 at 03:43 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 02:11 PM   #5
kolu

the better injectors were put into SV from K7 and above. same as Gladius. I did ended up getting them for my K3, looking at them they are HDA250E - you can easily get them new aftermarket as the type seems to fit into several Mitsubishi 2.0 engines, Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1, … sure I got them for £40 with used throttle bodies. also the Mitsubishi OEM spare part number is MN143061. Suzuki #15710-27G00 (K7 and upwards, green ones), #15710-17G00 (K3-K6, orange ones).
the difference is in number of holes, orange ones have 4 holes, green 12 (so should have better spray patter/atomisation).

Last edited by kolu; 04-02-21 at 02:26 PM.
kolu is offline   Reply With Quote