SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-21, 12:54 PM   #1
AlexB

Default AL7 metallic rattle when revving

Just bought my first almost new bike, a 2017 SV650 w/ ABS, only 1500km on the clock.

Super excited overall but not super thrilled about the sound when revved.

Sounds absolutely awesome if revved to 4000rpm but if you hit 5000rpm or higher and close the throttle quickly it makes some significant racket on decel.

Ive watched all the videos I can find and I seem to hear it in about half of them...

Surprised I havent seen a thread on this, is this metallic rattle just part of the engine? Would be reassuring to know this is normal.

Not my video but you can hear it pretty well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUX7L5PyD4g

I'm sure if you own one and this is normal you can put my mind at ease. Just something to live with? Loud exhaust to drown it out? Or should I have it checked out by the dealer?

Thanks,
Alex
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-21, 01:05 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL7 metallic rattle when revving

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Just bought my first almost new bike, a 2017 SV650 w/ ABS, only 1500km on the clock.
Super excited overall but not super thrilled about the sound when revved.
Sounds absolutely awesome if revved to 4000rpm but if you hit 5000rpm or higher and close the throttle quickly it makes some significant racket on decel.
Ive watched all the videos I can find and I seem to hear it in about half of them...
Surprised I havent seen a thread on this, is this metallic rattle just part of the engine? Would be reassuring to know this is normal.
Not my video but you can hear it pretty well here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUX7L5PyD4g

I'm sure if you own one and this is normal you can put my mind at ease. Just something to live with? Loud exhaust to drown it out? Or should I have it checked out by the dealer?

Thanks,
Alex
Welcome.
I saw your thread on the US site, watched the video and, to be honest, couldn't hear any problem. I have had a 2016A L7 from new and now with 30k miles (48k km) and it sounds the same.
Old 16-02-21, 02:28 PM   #3
AlexB

Default Re: AL7 metallic rattle when revving

Thanks! Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in a couple places...

I've had a few Suzuki's over the years (GT,GS,GSXR) but this is my first V-Twin. I was expecting it to sound a bit more raw and mechanical but the rattle after revving just isn't sitting well with me.

Guess I'll just have to trust its not a mechanical issue. Maybe I will pick up a full exhaust, I'm starting to think it could be the cat.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote