SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-09-09, 07:40 AM   #1
blueto

Default windows 7

i have been giving the chnace to upgrade to windows 7. anyone running it on here..whats your views? suppossed to have fixed all those silly vista problems.
Old 20-09-09, 07:51 AM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: windows 7

Do it, its a much better OS than Vista. I've been running Win7 as my main machine for about 4 weeks now. (and previously for about 12 months as beta and RC on one of my spares/VMs)

Last edited by flymo; 20-09-09 at 08:00 AM.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 07:52 AM   #3
7755matt

Ive been runing the Windows 7 RC since it came out. I do think that some of the Vista issues have been fixed. I know a few people think its just Vista SP3 but for an everyday OS its really nice.

Easy to use, easy to get your head round, a few nice features.

Shame I missed the cheap offer when they released it, but I think amazon might be doing the pre-order cheap again
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 07:58 AM   #4
boot

I've been running RC7 Build 7100 64bit for a few months. To this day, I'm not sure I've had a crash - that's with Outlook permanently open and many hours use every day.

It's been good for Office, Adobe CS4 products, 3DS Max and Cinema 4D, without issues.

Highly recommended, I might even consider buying it when the RC key expires.
Old 20-09-09, 08:02 AM   #5
krhall

Do it mate, it is actually quite a nice OS, seems to be much quicker than Vista too. Mind you after the Vista **** up they needed to have a good OS this time as most people didn't bother with it especially businesses.

Check any drivers first though as I have a bit of an issue with my HP print drivers, it prints but not the proper colours and HP haven't released drivers for Win7 for my old printer yet.
Old 20-09-09, 08:24 AM   #6
7755matt

You can quite often use the Vista drivers if there dont appear to be any Win7 ones yet.

If you're running the RC then it will work until 1st June 2010 but it will start to shut down every 2 hours after 1st March 2010

You can still get the preorder for about £75
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 08:45 AM   #7
larigos

If you are a student u can get it for £30 next month for upgrade from vista or xp. Check out uk hot deals website.
Old 20-09-09, 08:48 AM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I use Ubuntu on my desk top, got the whole operating system on a disk posted to me for free. Works with Open Office, VLC player and has lots of lovely features. It makes me smile to think that it has nothing at all to do with Microsoft.

However this here Laptop is still running XP, which is ugly, slow belligerent and wants to update when I am in the middle of something. Grrrrr...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 20-09-09 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Carol's Mac is very nice too though...
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 10:25 AM   #9
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
I use Ubuntu ....
The question was not about alternatives to Windows 7

Quote:
However this here Laptop is still running XP, which is ugly, slow belligerent and wants to update when I am in the middle of something. Grrrrr...
Well switch off the autoupdate I've still got XP on two machines and neither have any sort of slow response problems, in fact this one flying along nicely

But back to the original question, yep been using Win7 since it was out on beta, even went as far as buying a new laptop when it went RC, its great. I will be rebuilding the OS on the laptop to full blown version but not untill after 31st Oct as I have software on it I need running till then. As for drivers, so far had no real problems (even during beta phase) and I do have some old kit in use but its handled them 100% better than Vista (probably the reason I binned Vista as an OS within two weeks of its release)
Old 20-09-09, 03:17 PM   #10
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

So what are the nice features of it?

Is it more resource hungry than vista ?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote