SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 13-05-17, 03:29 PM   #3431
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Looks a good deal, there are some kits on eBay but they don't come with chemicals. All you would need is something to store them in and a thermometer. I bought the Massive Dev chart appears it comes with a timer. Developer and stop can he diluted and tipped down the drain but fixer needs to have the silver removed before diluting out and disposing of.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-17, 03:40 PM   #3432
yokohama

I thought it looked an ok deal, there are a couple of Kentmeres too. Can the chemicals be reused? ..and how to filter out the silver from the fixer?
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-17, 03:45 PM   #3433
Kenzie

I think you can get up to twelve rolls out of a one litre kit. Apparently you chuck some wire wool into a bucket with the fixer and the silver forms a sludge on it. Chuck the solids into the bin and dispose of the liquid. Best to check online though.
Old 13-05-17, 03:54 PM   #3434
yokohama

Interesting idea with the wire wool.
I'm definitely going to think about giving b&w a go at some point.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-17, 04:33 PM   #3435
Kenzie

I was afraid at first, but after the first one I couldn't understand what I was worried about! Same with medium format, I was winding the Duaflex and thought I had messed it up and missed the numbers but they just took ages to wind.
Just reloaded another 126 cart with Agfa Vista this time and popped it in the Kodak.

Last edited by Kenzie; 13-05-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 13-05-17, 07:40 PM   #3436
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

http://www.gumtree.com/p/video-camer...era/1239792572
Great deal if someone is in that area
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-17, 09:08 PM   #3437
Kenzie

Nice bit of kit that. Got a Voigtlander add-on rangefinder coming. Been wanting one and a buy it now or best offer came up.

Last edited by Kenzie; 14-05-17 at 08:00 PM.
Old 15-05-17, 08:13 PM   #3438
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Cool, I'm thinking of getting one for the Ensign. Long lens=shallow DoF and I'm rubbish at estimating distances. I got the shutter back together tonight, it was pretty grotty so I soaked the whole thing. I left some oil on the pivots and meant to wipe it off after it'd worked its way in, it all disappeared! It's not as precisely made as a Prontor or Compur for sure. Also there is a steep ramp on the speed setting ring either side of 1/25 so if you change speed with the shutter cokked and go out of/through there it can be damaged. Anyway all working now, 1s sticks occasionally - the pallet seems determined to cause trouble, but I'm not going to use 1s anyway. Will check the speeds tomorrow then can put it back in, after the bits of pollen etc. are hoovered out of the bellows! Actually getting the shutter halves back together was a job, the screws that hold the shutter ring are also pivots for the three leaves, and have to sit in pretty tight holes in the shutter body, took 10 minutes of increased swearing to get it back on. Sounds nice now though.
Old 15-05-17, 08:23 PM   #3439
Kenzie

Sounds like it was a handful! I didn't realise you are not supposed to change shutter speeds once the shutternis cokked. Is it a 6x9? Cannot remember.

Check out these prices!

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Old 15-05-17, 08:29 PM   #3440
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Wow, vintage! I think on a lot of old shutters you shouldn't, although on some Zorkis etc. you should only do it when cokked? They're the exception though. Newer ones e.g. 1960s Prontor are fine. It depends a bit how it sets the speed. On the 1960s onwards ones the followers on the speed ring are there all the time - if you take your Vitomatic and set it from 100 to 300 you'll hear it moving inside. On older ones the followers often sit back until the shutter is cokked, at which point they are pushed inwards until they meet the speed setting ring, I think these ones are best set then cokked, as you have to push back against it to change speeds. It's also bad to leave them cokked for a long time e.g. a couple of weeks before you take the next pic, so as a rule I do it just before firing anyway. Thankfully modern cameras are more forgiving; when I found my Super A in a drawer with half a roll in it after not being used for about 4 years, the shutter was still cokked! And it worked fine.