SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-05, 05:18 AM   #1
MitchC

Default Slight Concern... Z

Hey,

So I am starting to get more km's on my bike. Just riding out of town, not for any reason at all, just to ride. I have finally realized you don't need a reason to ride someplace.

The other day when I was on the highway, shifting up through the gears, between 5th and 6th, the gear was stuck in a 'false neutral'. I am sure this has happened to people before. I just noticed the bike was revving at about 6-7 grand. I clutch in, shift up and it slips into 6th. Now this happened twice. It's not a big deal. But, worried me is, what were to happen if I am thinking I am in 6th, 'accelerating', then it slipped into 6th on it's own as I am revving it quite high for that split second?

I just thought of something else. Tankslappers, what causes them? Rough road? Side wind? I was riding today in terrible wind and I was fighting it the whole time, going all over the road. Any tips for riding in side winds? And few things I could do if I had a tankslapper?

I've been around the site awhile, but I am still learning about riding.

Thanks guys,

Mitch

Keep your feet on the pegs and keep your right hand cranked.
Did your right hand write a cheque that your rear tire couldn't cash?

www.MITCHCAVE.com | I Do It With Twins
MitchC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-05, 06:45 AM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Hey hey.

I used to get false neutrals all the time before I adjusted the gear lever down a little. It was a bit too high for my foot to push up properly, so it simply wasn't going into gear.
Old 14-04-05, 07:16 AM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Slight Concern... Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchC
And few things I could do if I had a slapper?
I've got a long list
Old 14-04-05, 12:14 PM   #4
Carsick

rough road and applying the power a little too eagerly is what generally causes tank slappers.
Best thing to do if you have one is reflect on the knowledge that you've had a full and happy life, if that's not the case then, well, just pray.
They're pretty much out of control, so you just have to ride them through.

Side wind stuff, I'm sure there was a thread recently about it.
Old 14-04-05, 08:18 PM   #5
adam

Pray :-p
Old 14-04-05, 08:34 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Hey hey.

I used to get false neutrals all the time before I adjusted the gear lever down a little. It was a bit too high for my foot to push up properly, so it simply wasn't going into gear.
I did this too.

I still get it from time to time from 1st - 2nd but i'm sure it'll be ok with a bit more fine adjustment of the gear lever angle.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-05, 10:35 PM   #7
kern0079

False neutrals: Dont shift lazily. Make sure to give the lever a firm push and you wont have any problems.

Tank Slappers: Before my Ohlins I would get them when I was accelerating hard around 40mph, turning, and hitting bumps. A common place for this is freeway onramps. The only thing you can do is ride them out. Just stay on the bike and it usually works itself out. Or buy a damper. Some people will say one thing or another helps but the first few times it happens you will be surprised and wont remember any advice. I have just ridden through them all.

Side winds: Ride like normal except you will be leaning into the wind a lot and if you are in heavy winds for more than half a day you might need some advil for a sore neck.

Have fun & be safe-
Old 15-04-05, 04:06 PM   #8
philc2000

Default Re: Slight Concern... Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchC
Hey,

And few things I could do if I had a tankslapper?

When it's stopped and assuming you're still on the bike, pump the brakes. A fierce tank slapper can shake the front end so violently that the pistons in your brake calipers can be forced out. Next time you put the brakes on nothing happens - as if the slapper wasn't scary enough!!! I've had this happen to me before and it ain't funny.

I get false neutrals on me gixer - it's usually down to changing gear like a pansy.
Old 15-04-05, 04:34 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

False neutrals.Dont forget the basic stuff_Lube and adjust the chain.Id be a bit surprised if I got a tankslapper on the SV unless Id altered the geometry or made some mods.
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-05, 05:39 PM   #10
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Id be a bit surprised if I got a tankslapper on the SV unless Id altered the geometry or made some mods.
I've had some pretty violent headshakes, but nothing yet that I would actually call a tank slapper. It's not difficult to provoke a pretty big reaction.