SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-08, 08:16 AM   #1
jimc

Default scorpion exhaust-advice please.

First apology, sorry if this is in the wrong place ! Just joined and having few probs negotiating site !
Anyway, just passed test and i am limited to a 33bhp bike. Bought sv650s restricted and am delighted with it (1999, T plate). Scorpion exhaust was already on it which makes great noise and looks good. Problem is, does this exhaust increase Bhp ? If yes does this invalidate my license, ie I am already on 33bhp bike + the 2 bhp or whatever of the exhaust meaning I am over the restriction limit. Does it work like this ? What is likelyhood of plod stopping me and if so what would reaction be ?. I have the standard exhaust and dont know if I should put it back on. Looks and sound will suffer but i can live with it . Cheers for any advice, love the site.
Old 03-04-08, 08:24 AM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: scorpion exhaust-advice please.

Don't think the police will be too bothered about the bhp limit, but in the event of an insurance claim your insurance company would be, especially if it was linked to excessive speed. Having said that, most cans don't add any bhp unless used in conjunction with a jetting kit or power commander. Just may allow it to rev a bit more freely.

Have you told your insurance company that an aftermarket can is fitted?

You may well get stopped by the police. Ask Quiff, but if you ride carefully and keep it in a high a gear as is possible around town you minimise that chance. Act like an ar$e and you will get a tug. Upside is that other road users will hear you coming and that is worth a lot. Loud pipes do definately save lives.

Oh, and welcome to the site

Last edited by petevtwin650; 03-04-08 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Forgot my manners
Old 03-04-08, 09:07 AM   #3
jimc

cheers pete thanx.
Old 03-04-08, 09:12 AM   #4
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc View Post
cheers pete thanx.
No problem jimc, but the above is just my opinion. Thought there would have been loads more posting on this.
Old 03-04-08, 09:23 AM   #5
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Don't think the police will be too bothered about the bhp limit, but in the event of an insurance claim your insurance company would be, especially if it was linked to excessive speed. Having said that, most cans don't add any bhp unless used in conjunction with a jetting kit or power commander. Just may allow it to rev a bit more freely.

Have you told your insurance company that an aftermarket can is fitted?

You may well get stopped by the police. Ask Quiff, but if you ride carefully and keep it in a high a gear as is possible around town you minimise that chance. Act like an ar$e and you will get a tug. Upside is that other road users will hear you coming and that is worth a lot. Loud pipes do definately save lives.

Oh, and welcome to the site
+1
I would agree all the way. I would have thought a Policeman would have to be VERY astute to notice a 2bhp increase in power (if it did). Noise wise, you will get a fixed penalty of ?30 and no points
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 06:24 PM   #6
jimc

Yes i know the copper wont notice a 2 bhp increase in power or any increase for that matter, but what he will notice is the "scorpion" written in inch high red and black writing on the side of the exhaust! I imagine they are not all idiots and know that "performance" exhausts are called this for a reason, and being traffic cops would have a bit of an idea about these matters. (is this not true ?) I am not overly worried, but equally dont want to be wise after the event as somebody has recently told me that not adhering to the 33 bhp restriction can lead to my licence being revoked and having to re-sit my test which of course would be a nightmare. (Mind you, this could be crap too, see how little I know !)
Old 03-04-08, 06:24 PM   #7
jimc

Yes i know the copper wont notice a 2 bhp increase in power or any increase for that matter, but what he will notice is the "scorpion" written in inch high red and black writing on the side of the exhaust! I imagine they are not all idiots and know that "performance" exhausts are called this for a reason, and being traffic cops would have a bit of an idea about these matters. (is this not true ?) I am not overly worried, but equally dont want to be wise after the event as somebody has recently told me that not adhering to the 33 bhp restriction can lead to my licence being revoked and having to re-sit my test which of course would be a nightmare. (Mind you, this could be crap too, see how little I know !)
Old 03-04-08, 06:59 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

A slip on can will not give you any power gain, so you will be safe as long as you have a reputable 33bhp kit fitted! I wouldn't call Scorpion a performance exhaust either!

Having more than 33bhp would leave you uninsured and operating a vehicle without a licence (you are not licenced to operate a motorcycle with more than 33bhp, same as you driving a HGV with only a bike licence). Some insurers will also invalid a policy if you fail to notify them that the vehicle is non-standard, all initial quotes are based on standard vehicles.

Keep the can, tell your insurance company, but more importantly welcome the forum and enjoy your SV!
Old 03-04-08, 11:21 PM   #9
jimc

thanks for the replys to the scorpion exhaust problem, found it really helpful. Thanks dave-will keep the can, and will tell insurance company.

Hopefully will be able to contribute to the forum in future. cheers !