SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-09, 11:57 AM   #1
swinging_simian

Default Clutch lifter problem.

Hi SVers

I've been having some problems with a really notchy gear change for a while now. I've adjusted the buggery out of it several times, both ends of the cable and the worm drive(as per the instructions posted on this forum). I eventually took it to a mechanic/racer friend who thought it might be notching on the clutch basket. We had the clutch cover off and smoothed out a few notches the plates had worn in, but not joy.

It seems the worm drive is moving around a little before it actually starts to move the pushrod, we we thought a new one is probably required. A fellow SVer confirmed that he had had the same problem but fixed it with a spot weld on the worm drive.

My question, where the hell can I get a worm drive? The only place I can find on the web is www.suzuki-spares.co.uk or www.redcarmotorcycles.co.uk (same company), but £45 seems a bit steep to me. I was under the impression these cost around £25.

Also, any advice/comment on worm drive problems/fitting would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nath
Old 26-05-09, 12:00 PM   #2
Demonz

Default Re: Worm Drive

http://www.svspares.com/ - 2nd hand one here for £25 a couple of weeks back?? But yes I thought it was expensive as well.
Old 26-05-09, 12:00 PM   #3
Grinch

Default Re: Worm Drive

They are not cheap, but they do last if you remember to regularly grease them. You sure your drives set-up right and that it has all its ball-bearings.
Old 26-05-09, 12:41 PM   #4
swinging_simian

Default Re: Clutch lifter problem.

I'm sure it is adjusted correctly, not so sure about the condition of it. I may take it apart and see if some cleaning and liberal greasing may alleviate the crunch.

Ta for the svspares link, one to book mark methinks.
Old 28-05-09, 11:54 AM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I was surprised to find mine was full of grease and half knackered by about 25k miles. The main worm section is plastic so the balls dig into it in the end
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-09, 12:03 PM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
I was surprised to find mine was full of grease and half knackered by about 25k miles. The main worm section is plastic so the balls dig into it in the end
Had the same problem with a previous bike - the drive housing wears and moves sideways too much instead of in/out. If you buy a second hand unit it may also be worn so beware of that and check it thoroughly. New ones are dear but may be better in the long run if properly greased to start with.
Old 29-05-09, 02:18 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

I need a new one of these, i didnt realise they where £45 but considering the price of some toher OEM parts, its actally not suprising