SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-06, 09:05 PM   #1
Topaz

Default How good do you feel when . . .

. . . you stop to help another biker.

Was on my home from MOTing my bike (always choose a dealer miles away, so can give it a good run), when I saw a bike pulled up by the the side of the road.

Stopped and got off my bike to see if I could help. His chain had come off the rear sprocket, and was spinning wildly.

I told him that I had a toolset on me, the one provided by Suzuki, and that we could loosen the wheel nut, push the wheel forward, and slip the chain back on.

Unfortunately, none of the spanners fitted his wheel nut, so that was a non-starter.

Nothing left to do, so he was going to call the AA out. Made sure he was OK, and left him with that.

Although I couldn't help, I still felt good that I had stopped.

A.
Old 21-03-06, 09:21 PM   #2
Diveboy

not as good as you feel when you need help and another bike stops and help you.
Old 21-03-06, 10:56 PM   #3
Blindly

I always stop if I'm on my bike (feel a pillock in the car).

But it feels better when you stop to help a BMW rider.

I had seen this very unusual coloured and shaped BMW a number of times on my way to work, infact I admired the fact that he would ride such a nice looking BMW in all weathers. It reminded me of the Ducati PaulSmart machine but in better colours and same 70s styling.

Anyway it turned out he just run out of fuel and failed to pay attention to his reserve switch and someone else had already gone to the petrol station 1/2 mile away to get a can full of fuel.
Old 22-03-06, 08:55 AM   #4
tricky

Every time I pull over the guy/girl has just stopped for a fag or to make a phone call

I tend to slow down and give the to check first.

I have pulled over in the car before, lad on a Cagiva Mito, there was nothing I could do as it had seized, I think he was quite pleased that someone stopped and he had someone to talk to whilst waiting for recovery.
Old 22-03-06, 09:08 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Never have done.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-06, 09:23 AM   #6
DanAbnormal

I've been helped out by a lovely chap on a Thundercat once when I ran out of petrol (doh!). If it weren't for his help I would have had a gruelling 7 miles push to the nearest petrol station. I now stop whenever I can to see If I can help.
Old 22-03-06, 10:43 AM   #7
anna
Mega Poster

The amount of bad luck I have had with my bike I have always been very grateful of anyone stopping to help.. even if it is company whilst waiting for the recovery people.

I always stop to help others and make sure they are okay as I know how nice it is when someone does it for me!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-06, 11:24 AM   #8
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Funny you should mention it. I pulled into Morrisons petrol station between the M5 and Weston and there was a bloke stood there looking at his bike. I filled up, went and paid and came out and he was still there but this time his missus was stood with him

He was just stood looking around the bike, you like when there is something wrong, you haven't got a clue and you juts look in sheer desperation that something jumps out at you.

He was a european geezer, said he'd just bought the bike (Suzuki TL something or other, big thing) stopped to fill up and couldn't get it started. He'd been there for some time... Turned the alarm on and off but wouldn't start..

I tried, wouldn't start....... I thought, "Hmmm, Suzuki"

Held the clutch in and pressed the button...

Ha haaa, hey presto, bike starts , he felt like a muppet (although a happy one) and I had the feel good factor.

Bless him

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-06, 02:06 PM   #9
anna
Mega Poster

... that would be something I would have pointed out to me
anna is offline   Reply With Quote