SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-06-17, 08:12 PM   #11
glang

Default Re: Charging issues

Out of interest to build up a picture of R/R failures how olds the bike and how many miles? And was the bike started with a flat battery before this problem happened ie bumped, jumped etc
Thanks
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 08:24 PM   #12
lenny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Out of interest to build up a picture of R/R failures how olds the bike and how many miles? And was the bike started with a flat battery before this problem happened ie bumped, jumped etc
Thanks
It's a year 2000 and I've done around 40K in mileage. There was no charge in the battery, out of the blue. I put enough charge in the battery to start it and go for a test ride but as no charge was going in (unbeknown to me at the time!) it quickly ran out and I had to push it home. The last couple of short local rides had obviously been draining the battery with nothing topping it up as I hadn't had it plugged into the optimate. Once plugged into the optimate, it charged up fully again and has had no problems holding its charge while I've been starting it up to do checks. The battery's checked out good and not weak.
Old 09-06-17, 08:24 AM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

If you haven't already,buy a Workshop manual.People often overlook just how useful the,"Troubleshooting" sections are in these.For example,

You can get them from Halfords or Amazon etc.

I sometimes just pick up mine and read it as a book just so I can get to know the machine
Old 09-06-17, 04:15 PM   #14
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny1 View Post
It's a year 2000 and I've done around 40K in mileage. There was no charge in the battery, out of the blue. I put enough charge in the battery to start it and go for a test ride but as no charge was going in (unbeknown to me at the time!) it quickly ran out and I had to push it home. The last couple of short local rides had obviously been draining the battery with nothing topping it up as I hadn't had it plugged into the optimate. Once plugged into the optimate, it charged up fully again and has had no problems holding its charge while I've been starting it up to do checks. The battery's checked out good and not weak.
If it has been flattened completely it needs to be recharged and kept above 80% otherwise by the time you fix the problem it will be shagged.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-17, 11:17 AM   #15
lenny1

Well, I've replaced the rectifier & still only getting 1.2 V out of the top of it to charge the battery with. All checks up to that point with a multimeter are fine, I've even replaced some wires between the alternator & rectifier. I can't find anywhere what the output of the alternator should be, is 147 V at 5000 revs from all 3 phases too high? The Haynes manual says max output of 300W which doesn't help me!
Old 15-06-17, 11:19 AM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

For my 1999 Curvy,

Old 15-06-17, 11:23 AM   #17
lenny1

Thanks, my manual is giving the same figures. Guess I need to work out the volts into watts!
Old 15-06-17, 11:24 AM   #18
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny1 View Post
Thanks, my manual is giving the same figures. Guess I need to work out the volts into watts!

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

but 147v is way too high to me.Something amiss with the Stator methinks.

All the 3-Phase Stator failures I've had have been shorted coils(no output) or coils to ground(no output).Never seen one go,"High" but I suppose it's possible.Just a guess but maybe some coils have shorted and putting out more than they should and screwing up the A/C :/

I've already done a bit of research in case I ever need a new Stator and found this

http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog...ternators.html

http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Regrectsuzu.htm

But with those you have to re-use your old connectors.There's some on eBay with all the connectors on ready to fit.

I think my,1999 "Curvy" is a G5 type?

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 15-06-17 at 11:39 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-17, 12:05 PM   #19
Blapper

Just to be clear, you are talking 1.2V DC aren't you? You're not forgetting to change from AC to DC after checking the stator outputs? If you are saying the output is 147V AC when measured between all three phases, that is very high, but the output of 1.2V DC from the reg/rect is waaay too low. Something is amiss somewhere.

Where you from mate?
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-17, 02:08 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
Just to be clear, you are talking 1.2V DC aren't you? You're not forgetting to change from AC to DC after checking the stator outputs? If you are saying the output is 147V AC when measured between all three phases, that is very high, but the output of 1.2V DC from the reg/rect is waaay too low. Something is amiss somewhere.

Where you from mate?
Worth checking, if you leave meter on AC when measuring DC it will very likely only measure the 'ripple' on the DC, not the true DC value.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote