SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-15, 12:24 AM   #1
LondonSv

Default 2nd gen oil starvation issue fixed?

Hello lads n lasses.
I know I'm going into the belly of the beast with this question but I've heard things here n there that suggest the 2nd gen sv had the wheelie induced oil starvation problem fixed and that it's harmless to wheelie the sv (k. I have just learnt to lift up the front wheel and balance but I'm worried that I'm asking for engine trouble! Also who's from London and can suggest decent roads to enjoy the power band of an sv.....responsibly that is
Old 22-07-15, 01:21 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2nd gen oil starvation issue fixed?

nope you heard wrong
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 07:18 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2nd gen oil starvation issue fixed?

I'm guessing this is based on the recall for the early sv650 bikes. When the early 99 sv650x models came out there was not much baffling in the sump, so hard braking and accelerating could leave the oil pickup sucking air. This was fixed under warranty, and later curvy svs and pointy svs had more baffling to help. However, lifting the front of the bike and holding it there is beyond what a few baffles can do to keep the pickup submerged. The odd wheelie will I'm sure be fine but if you want as bike to stunt on this is not a great candidate. Unfortunately the first casualty of oil starvation on these motors tends to be the big end bearings, and by the time you hear them the crank is often scored and scrap. That puts the motor beyond economic repair.

Jambo

Last edited by jambo; 23-07-15 at 07:19 PM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote