SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-12-15, 06:35 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Registering An Imported Bike

I've had a quick look but can't find the answer to the following scenario:

I'm looking at buying an imported bike. Its was imported some years ago but never registered. I know that bikes imported now end up on the NOVA system as you need to pay import duty/ VAT. But I believe the bike in question was imported before that system. So what would the likely charges be?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 11:52 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Registering An Imported Bike

I'm not sure about bikes but if it's anything like boats then you need to be able to show when it was imported and what was paid at that time. What paperwork do you have?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 09:06 AM   #3
Skip
Mega Poster

My friend has just been through this - slightly different though that he owned the bike in Norway for 10 years. He brought it over last year and didn't get around to registering it until this year. Nearly had a heart attack when he read that you can get a £5 per DAY fine for not declaring it to HMRC within 14 days...

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...-within-the-eu

So what he did was a day trip to France and used the ferry ticket as "proof" that it was the first time the bike had hit our shores and followed the NOVA and other procedures and now has it registered.

Not sure how that will apply if you don't have the up to date documents from the country it came from - which my friend obviously did as it was still covered under up-to-date Norwegian registration and insurance.
Old 11-12-15, 10:04 AM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I think there are two issues here, importing it and then registering it.

Registering it is fairly straightforward, if you think about it most of our bikes are imported....but you will need to have something to show it's age to avoid a Q plate (or at least you did when I last did it)

The importation side and the tax that attracts are the more complicated issues and that may depend on what paperwork you have.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 10:38 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

And depending on which country it was imported from, will determine the Vat & duty to charge on the value.

I'm surprised that the duty & vat haven't already been paid on importation, but it would depend on the circumstances of importation. Normally goods aren't customs cleared until the duty & vat have been paid, unless the goods were cleared to an inland warehouse.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 01:25 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
What paperwork do you have?
At the moment I'm waiting to find out, but lets assume the worse, and say nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Nearly had a heart attack when he read that you can get a £5 per DAY fine for not declaring it to HMRC within 14 days...
Yeah that's what worries me as I understand its was imported from Japan 10 years ago.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 11-12-15, 11:59 PM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well there is a CE389 form which some googling suggests is what NOVA used to be and that this is the customs form which shows the duty paid. My understanding is this can be converted to NOVA and thus allow the bike to be registered. But there is no confirmation that the duty is paid at the moment so waiting for more information.

I even phoned HMRC and spoke to what I can only describe as a suicide risk, who informed me that with the CE389 I have to submit it and then find out if there is any duty to be paid. They won't provide the information without me submitting the form. However if the duty is then more then I would want to pay then simply I don't register it.

So it looks like it could all be fine or it could all be a costly exercise. It is a nice bike though...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 12-12-15, 07:09 AM   #8
tj2

Hi
I had self same problem.
Had the 389 form, and several other bits of paperwork (mainly parts receipts but also a sales receipt)
I was also worried that it was not nova registered...........
But breathe........
I submitted all the paperwork with a covering letter explaining why I was putting it to NOVA registration and not the original importer and I think 2 weeks later I had the NOVA certificate and proof of no duty payable.
Then it was the simple task of getting the bike mot'd, Insured on frame number, getting a dating certificate to prove the year of manufacture, jumping through all the UK Government and DVLA hoops etc, filling in the V55 from (1st tax and registration) and paying I think £55.00.

Fun and games but no sweat.

Now I get to hoon around the country leaving the sweet smell of Asda 2 stroke oil smoke wherever I go.

Hope this helps.
If you need any more help PM me your number and I will call you.

Cheers
Terry
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 08:41 AM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Pm Richie also he's done import also

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 04:56 PM   #10
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Cheers Terry that's good to know. Just a couple of questions, does the 389 show that the import tax and duty has been paid? And what sort of thing did you put in the covering letter? Potentially mine would be "I'm registering it now as I've just bought it, the importer and original owner never did and I have no explanation for this".

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR