SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-14, 08:40 PM   #1
Bike_Nutter

Question Engine cuts out.

Hi peeps.

My bike has been running rich in my opinion and I've been barely getting 80 miles before the fuel light comes on, but I will add that I do tend to wang it everywhere these days.

It has happened before, but on two separate days now, it cuts out as I stick it in first to pull off. The engine runs sweet on idle and everything else seems OK. It does seem to be running a little rough when at speed also, more than I noticed in the past.

I popped into my local bike shop and spoke about the unburnt fuel smell, but he said (as did people on here when I posted) that all Twins run a bit rough, especially with a shot gun exhaust fitted.

So to my question. I'm guessing it could need a new air filter as it is struggling for air? The last time I looked it was salmon pink and looked almost new. Since then it has done about 3-3.5K. So I would think it was still fine?

Any ideas what it could be? I have my MOT next month. Gulp!

Thanks for any replies.
Old 18-09-14, 11:10 AM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Engine cuts out.

I doubt its the air filter.What bike is it?If its a curvy Id look at the choke plungers as it is probably running on permanent choke thus drinking neat fuel and running like sh?t.If its not a curvy Id ask someone who knows about temp sensors and stuff like that.
Old 18-09-14, 05:26 PM   #3
Bike_Nutter

Default Re: Engine cuts out.

Thanks mate.