SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-08, 07:42 AM   #1
phizog

Default H4 Headlight Bulb Replacement

Fitted new headlight bulbs today as I do a bit of riding at night.

I bought this:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/star-rotors/ , labeled 'H4 Headlight Bulb HID-Suzuki TL1000 SV TL SV650 Cruiser'

Quite an easy install but there wasn't alot of info on it so I took some pics. You can see the headlight cover just looking under the dash. Pictured below is looking at that, except I'm holding the dust cover, you can see the plug that I'd already taken out, and the back of the bulb casing:

First step is to unplug the cable unit going in. Then pull off the dust cover (as shown above). Then there is a spring clip, its on a catch so push it down and up, then it comes towards you. Then just take out the bulb and throw in the new one. Put spring back on it, dust cover back on, plug back in. Repeat for other side, done.

The difference in look is obvious;

Much whiter. Haven't tested it yet, may later tonight. I've decided I need to replace the parking light now, looks way too yellow when next to pure white
Old 29-06-08, 11:22 AM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: [MODS] H4 Headlight Bulb Replacement

I really don't like those bulbs. They're not "gas discharge" They're not "HID" etc etc.

They're a cheap bulb with some blue paint, try some proper bulbs from osram or phillips.

(sorry to pi$$ on the parade )
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-08, 11:31 AM   #3
NadineDieBiene

phizog, you know what, I put exactly the same bulbs as you on my SV, and I really like the brighter non-yellow look, but: Actually, they are NOT EVEN as bright than the originals - you will find it painful driving at night...

Well, hopefully I am wrong.
Old 29-06-08, 11:33 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

They just paint the bulbs blue, so you get the whiter light but more heat and less useable light.

Professionally made bulbs are the only way to go, osram nightbreakers/silverstars etc. They aren't just coloured they actually make white light...
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-08, 11:34 AM   #5
phizog

Oh ***** I know they're obviously not HID, I assumed they were xenon gas charged, which is what I'm after. Will post up when I test them at night.
Old 29-06-08, 11:56 AM   #6
Manguish

You'll find the light output is much worse.

As has been said, some decent osram etc will be MUCH better.
Old 29-06-08, 12:13 PM   #7
sottondan

i got a set of hids from fleebay for about 80 quid best 80 quid i ever spent its like daylight get true hid's piece of **** to fit
Old 29-06-08, 01:29 PM   #8
thedonal

I'm gonna be upgrading the front lamps at some point. Was thinking of going the philips/osram route. Just had to hold back at £15 each! Lot of cash at the mo for me.

Nice set of pics Phizog. Keep it up and we'll have a nice visual guide to modding/servicing the bike! And in full colour too- better than Mr Haynes can manage.

How fiddly is doing this with the fairings on? I don't mind fiddly, I just like to know how many hours I'll spend swearing at myself and the bike!!!
Old 29-06-08, 01:49 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

You might be happy enough with them. If you like the whiter look, Osram Nightbreakers are the business, as bright as H4 lamps go just now too. Very good. I prefer my HID setup but the Osrams are very very good for a simple swap.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-08, 02:31 PM   #10
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

i have had the stock bulbs, phillips 80% ones that were much whiter, now i'm half way through installing HIDs and although the difference in the picture above is impressive, similar to the difference between my stock ones and the phillips, HIDs are another league

HID vs. Phillips "Extreme 80%" halogen bulb low beam

HID vs. Phillips "Extreme 80%" halogen bulb high beam

For reference, those are Phillips "Bluevision" sidelight bulbs, they are supposed to produce white light:

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote