SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 05-01-07, 07:55 PM   #1
Baldyman

Default "SPEC" Cameras on M5?

Can anyone confirm the rumour that SPEC (Average speed) cameras are going/have gone up in both directions on the M5 around Jcts 29 to 32?
These are the "really" sneaky ones, no flash, just a tax demand thru your door

............oh and are they rear and/or forward facing?

Cheers
Old 05-01-07, 09:12 PM   #2
Stingo

Yep - I heard about this one on the local news - not sure where they're sited though, won't the facing direction be irrelevant as they're taking average speed over a particular distance?
Old 05-01-07, 09:19 PM   #3
Beenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo
Yep - I heard about this one on the local news - not sure where they're sited though, won't the facing direction be irrelevant as they're taking average speed over a particular distance?
They'll be able to catch the average speed but if they face front they won't get the reg plate of a bike.
Old 05-01-07, 09:21 PM   #4
Stingo

I think these might be the one's....

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/13065.aspx

I've forgotten how to do the linky thing...sorry

Beenz - a valid point and well made I must say!!
Old 05-01-07, 10:42 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

From what I've read (possibly in MCN, but can't remember so don't take this as gospel, always read the instruction manual, don't blame me etc...) that rear or forward facing all you have to do is change lanes as they are a pair of cameras per lane that don't talk to each other.

However I wouldn't risk it, they've been good enough to tell us where they are so lets all stay slow so they make no money and the 'safety' camera partnerships go bust.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 08:30 PM   #6
fraser01

SPEC cameras face both ways, the computer system that runs the cameras decides when to activate them and which ones to activate...so you never know which cameras are operating... great way of keeping you at the speed limit...

Oh by the way HELLO

Rich
Old 09-01-07, 08:45 PM   #7
Baldyman

Hi mate, long time no hear............er, shouldn't that be ello, ello I'll get my hat

Anyhows, what you doin with yourself, what bike, do you get out on it much

Cheers

Leigh
Old 09-01-07, 08:54 PM   #8
fraser01

Ello ello (happy Leigh)

I am fine thankyou, been busy over the last few months, not to mention that the bike has been stored away in the garage (still got the same as before, although waiting for the new Hornet to come out in march).

Looking forward to getting out once the weather improves though