SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-08, 08:21 PM   #1
adoh30

Default Request for Help Please - LED

not very technical for you all to answer (hopefully)

I have SV650S K3 pointy, I have fitted LED's to the front and obviously all the indicators are flashing fast, I have purchase a replacement 2-pin relay for LED's but where is the original relay, I have had a look near the fuse box but obviously can't see it.

Could someone please help, also does anyone know if the OEM relay is 2-pin or 3-pin.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

SV650S K3 (2004) Pointy, Custom lower fairing, custom Red flip paint.
Old 08-08-08, 08:50 PM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Request for Help Please - LED

If I remember right, its under the tank, just below where it hinges... though this is the curvy model, and even then my memory is a little fuzzy.
Old 09-08-08, 12:34 PM   #3
VolatileParsley

Adrian,

On your K3 model it is normally located under the pillion seat right next to the fuse box. I say normally as it depends whether the fuse box has been moved or not, possibly from fitting a tail tidy. It is a 7-pin unit; it integrates the indicator relay, side-stand relay and diode circuit.

It may be easier to fit resistors instead of replacing the relay.

I'm sure someone that has actually done this mod will be able along to help you out shortly.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-08-08, 02:05 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Just took these pics of my K3, so should be the same as yours.
Take off the riders seat and look towards the pillion seat. You'll see the fuse box and relay, they are attached to each other. Pull them off the rubber holder. I'm pointing at the relay

Unplug the relay and remove the blue and brown wires from the back.

Then you need to connect them into the new relay.

Then plug the standard relay back in and find a space to put the new relay.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 05:12 PM   #5
adoh30

Hi thanks for the screen shots, atleast I know where it is now, however, my wiring is slightly different to yours as it appears you have 3 spare pins going to the relay and I only have one, I cut the brown and one of the blue wires and attached it to the new relay and it didn't work, none of the indicators come on and also that blue wire must have been the stand switch as the neutral light would not come on, should I try the other blue wire or am I preverbally ****ing in the wind. Also on the instrument panel it said chec.

Last edited by adoh30; 09-08-08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 07:13 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoh30 View Post
Hi thanks for the screen shots, atleast I know where it is now, however, my wiring is slightly different to yours as it appears you have 3 spare pins going to the relay and I only have one, I cut the brown and one of the blue wires and attached it to the new relay and it didn't work, none of the indicators come on and also that blue wire must have been the stand switch as the neutral light would not come on, should I try the other blue wire or am I preverbally ****ing in the wind. Also on the instrument panel it said chec.
The reason I have 3 spare pins is because I removed the two for the indicators and connected them to the relay. You should remove terminals F (light blue) and G (brown). If you have a haynes manual it will have a wiring diagram in there
Old 09-08-08, 08:44 PM   #7
adoh30

Thanks Darren thik I already cut the brown wire, will look for the light blue tomorrow and will report back.

How do you get the pins out, tried earlier and they are solid to remove - is there a trick to remove them

Adrian
PS should be able to post a pic of my new respray tomorrow
Old 09-08-08, 08:56 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoh30 View Post
How do you get the pins out, tried earlier and they are solid to remove - is there a trick to remove them
Get the smallest flat screwdriver you can find. If you look in the connector (not the side the wires come out) you'll see a wee bit of metal sticking out. That is what holds the connector in the plastic block. With the driver, push it back in. Should just slide out after that
Old 10-08-08, 04:57 AM   #9
adoh30

Once again, thanks for your help, going to maplin this morning to buy a vrimping set to make it a tidy job instead of my normal screw two wires together.