SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-08, 02:06 PM   #21
captainsmelly

Default Re: Motorway experience?

i had the same difficulties andybrad, on a faired bike so probably not quite as bad as you found. found it really hard just keeping my head pointing the right way, but your muscles grow quickly. try and tuck in, and position yourself so the force of the wind pushes your head down onto your shoulders rather then snapping it back. worked for me.
Old 03-11-08, 02:21 PM   #22
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

I was going to say db screen but then I woke up and looked at your avatar.

Sounds like you could be in need of a tighter helmet as others have said - I spent 6 months riding with an XL sized caberg, went to the bike show where the arai team measured me up and said "nope, you're actually a large". The helmet was a bit more snug but higher speeds became much more manageable.

Also, earplugs earplugs earplugs earplugs earplugs earplug.

I did the exact same stretch of m62 going in the same direction about a month after I passed my test last year. I was in agony with the wind noise. I went to earnshaws in huddersfield (although most halfords do them too) and bought a bag of illuminous green earplugs. They take a little bit of getting used to but once you have a method for getting them in, they really do make a world of difference. Higher speeds feel so much more under control and relaxed, and you're also protecting your ears. I can't ride without them now - the noise is far too much

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 02:53 PM   #23
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Yarp earplugs keeps the wind tunnel effect down. I love motorways, but then I'm a weirdo, but one of my SVs loves them too. My first experience of the motorway was off chainbar. I'd only had the bike about 2 weeks. My mates met me at one of their houses, and said we were going to Squires...yayay i thought, then noticed that neither of them had their bikes
''er wheres your bikes''
''oh in wakefield, we're just going to do a small detour down the 62, just follow us in the car''

well they said they wish that they'd had a camera, cause my face in the rearview mirror was a look of horror...lol. Talk about deep end. All water off a ducks back these days, i'm more at ease on a motrway than anywhere else. Just choose a less chaotic day like a Sunday morning..early and try again

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 04:47 PM   #24
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Lean into it! That way it's a steady blast against you. Worse than that is the buffeting from other vehicles' slipstream which really knocks your head about.
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 04:52 PM   #25
BBadger

i have the same issue as you here, but you soon get use to it, and 80 /90 is quite cumfortable as you lean against the wind so dont hold urself up.
Just try less speed and if still an issue get a nice big fly screan off a honda cub
Old 03-11-08, 04:54 PM   #26
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Less speed?

No... more speed ... cane the b0llocks off it on that road going up towards j22 ... you can get 110 ish up there easy, the thought of the bumps causing you to be tankslappered to death will take your mind off the windblast no problem.
Old 03-11-08, 05:13 PM   #27
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

It can just be the wind direction and strength sometimes.

Couple of times I have not been comfortable going past 70mph on a streetbike on the motorway (where you are a lot more exposed to the elements compared to most A and B roads). Weird crosswinds. All you can do is slow down or find another route.

Your body will get used to it in no time. Fat neck and a Popeye sized throttle forearm. *CRUSH*

Fun tho' eh!?
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 05:15 PM   #28
alan pasfield

this also happened to me the other day and im a big lad the wind caught me and i was just about off but got the knees buried in the tank head down problem solved untill i lifted my head to do a lifesaver and it felt like i got hit by a tank then i cut my speed down to around 80 and the problem went away as madness says avoid the m ways and just enjoy
Old 03-11-08, 05:18 PM   #29
shonadoll

Do those tiny screens actually make a difference? They look so small.
Old 03-11-08, 05:19 PM   #30
shonadoll

Have to say, I'm finding it much easier going now I'm used to it, and have a helmet that actually fits - my old one felt like my head was being pulled, at high speed, but my Arai fits like a glove and has made a huge difference. Is your helmet a bit loose, perhaps?