SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-10-09, 09:12 PM   #1
beabert

Default Stuck caliper retaining pin

It wont come out Ive shaped the end for a socket, wont budge. Drilled a hole in the caliper to punch it out, wont budge. Any one had the same problem?

Im thinking of whacking it in the over when the coast is clear.

Last edited by beabert; 25-10-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 25-10-09, 09:20 PM   #2
Neeja

Default Re: Stuck caliper retaining pin

If you want to go the brute force method:

Buy new pins.

For front calipers, cut the pin(s) with a hacksaw blade so there's enough of a gap to get the pads out. Smack the pin stubs with a hammer at a moderate level of force. Get some mole-grips and rock the pins side to side while trying to pull them free (or push, for the pin head). Eventually they should come out, helped along by plusgas/wd40/blowtorch.

Rear's a bit easier. Cut the pins again, get pads off. Split the caliper. You've now got easy access to the pin-stubs to do the above with, but a lot more room.

Alternately, do it the proper way - lots of plusgas and heat.
Old 25-10-09, 09:21 PM   #3
Neeja

If you want to go the brute force method:

Buy new pins.

For front calipers, cut the pin(s) with a hacksaw blade so there's enough of a gap to get the pads out. Smack the pin stubs with a hammer at a moderate level of force. Get some mole-grips and rock the pins side to side while trying to pull them free (or push, for the pin head). Eventually they should come out, helped along by plusgas/wd40/blowtorch.

Rear's a bit easier. Cut the pins again, get pads off. Split the caliper. You've now got easy access to the pin-stubs to do the above with, but a lot more room.

Alternately, do it the proper way - lots of plusgas and heat.
Old 25-10-09, 09:26 PM   #4
thefallenangel

if they are front pins, go to your nearest industrial supplies and ask for a long of 6mm diameter stainless steel bar. It's the same stuff as the bar and what i currently have in my SV. For a couple of quid it makes overhauling calipers easy. Grease them up and re-grease them regularly and it should be okay. Don't forget to drill a hole in the right place for the R clip and also leave enough length on the bar so it can be pulled out with grips/pliers when you need to inspect/clean the caliper next time.

BTW stainless is a bitch to drill so don't forget to dot the steel before you drill it.
Old 25-10-09, 09:26 PM   #5
boot

or freezer?
Old 25-10-09, 09:41 PM   #6
beabert

Good point, which will contract most though, aluminum or the steel, i imagine aluminium? Ill go look.
Old 26-10-09, 10:39 AM   #7
sz1

i had a similar problem on me bandit 6 only with rea went for the split method.
Old 26-10-09, 11:23 AM   #8
beabert

Nope one wrecked caliper, i cut the pin the ends wouldnt even budge with a sledge hammer i was using, literally welded to the boldy, so i drilled them, but made a mess of it lol. Any one selling one
Old 26-10-09, 11:47 AM   #9
sz1

http://www.svspares.com/items/234-1_...r-rear-650.htm

try these.