SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-06-20, 08:54 AM   #1
GSX1400

Default Gen 3 AL9 rear shock change

From the start - apologies if covered elsewhere. I've looked and looked through the search function and cannot find a thing. Relating to the gen 3.

Got a Gen 3 2019 AL9. Love the bike - apart from one major thing. The rear shock is awful. Yes. I know the bike is built to a budget and all that...I love the bike and 9/10 times take this out of the garage now. I live in a very quiet rural area with loads of back lanes.

I've been holding off for a while now. But, looking at either Hagon (which I've had before on a FSZ600 mk1) or Nitron. I do realise once the rear is sorted - attention will focus on the front.

Cutting to the chase. Has anyone swapped shocks? What needs to be removed to access top mounting bracket? And, as I cannot find any online manual, does anyone know the top and bottom shock mounting torque settings please? I'm also ordering an ABBA stand. I've read stories about blocks of wood/sidestands and trolly jacks that make my blood run cold.

Sorry for the 20 questions - I wish someone like Haynes would bring out a workshop manual. I don't really bother with the suppling dealer, preferring to do most stuff myself.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by GSX1400; 28-06-20 at 09:01 AM.
GSX1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 09:59 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gen 3 AL9 rear shock change

I can answer a couple of your questions. The torque setting for top and bottom shock mounts is 50Nm (37lb/ft). Suzuki GB stopped providing paper service manuals and the dealers had to return theirs to be replaced by online or DVDs which aren't available to the public.
You can buy a service manual from the US, the part number is/was (mine is for the AL7) 99500-36240-03E. I posted a link a while back for a US site that sells them but I don't think I have the link anymore. I bought a "reject" copy which appears to have been printed on graph paper it cost about $50 with another $50 to ship, the usual price is about $100 plus shipping.

I have the Abbastand, works well but irritating having to remove/replace the bike's plastic covers but I get irritated easily.

I ride bumpy country lanes too and haven't had a problem with the rear shock but I'm vertically challenged and only weigh 10.5/11 st in full gear. The front suspension isn't too bad, better than previous generations (less soft). Ohlins inserts plus springs are about £900.

I fitted a Nitron shock when I had a Street Triple expecting miracles but it made little difference - I was looking for comfort not white knuckle road holding so maybe that was just me.

Don't know if your "handle" means anything, but I have a friend that's just bought a GSX1400 with sidecar (he's 88 years old). It has Wasp leading link forks fitted, Power Commander, car rear tyre etc - beautiful looking bike.
Old 28-06-20, 10:22 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Giant pictures (the medium linked didn't show detail clearly)

Old 28-06-20, 10:39 AM   #4
GSX1400

Seeker - you are a star. Thank you.

I'm from just over the 'bridge' in East Yorkshire. Im roughly 14.5 stone and 5'11" in my birthday suit. I have gone up and down the shock adjustments. Nothing works. I've been waiting a little to see how I get on with it. But, 9 times out of 10 I go out on the SV now.

I also have a GSX1400 K3 which only gets the odd run out nowadays. The missus point blank refuses to go on the SV. Owned GSX for 13 years now. Hence I keep the GSX for both of us. Top credit to your friend at 88 who has just bought one. Oldest lad I usually meet is 87 and he has a Goldwing trike... Good on 'em thats what I say...

Missus going out this afternoon. Got some peace and quiet. Gonna have a partial strip down to see how I get to the top mounting bracket. You cannot even see it never mind remove the bolt!

Many thanks for the torque settings too.

Last edited by GSX1400; 28-06-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 28-06-20, 11:32 AM   #5
yokohama

I'm no expert on the AL9 but I swopped the rear shock out on my pointy. With the Abba stand, remember to get the swingarm removal kit rather than or as well as the standard fitting. Using this takes all the weight off the suspension unit.
Once you can figure out access, dropping the old shock out is easy enough
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 01:49 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

without an abba stand. turn the footpegs round so they are upside down and cant fold. place an axle stand under the peg so its touching the peg opposite the sidestand. place the other axle stand just off the sidestand side and make sure that the axle stand is at the same height as the other one opposite.

standing at the sidestand side of the bike push the bike over onto the opposite axle stand so the sidestand is off the ground, slide the remaining axle stand under the footpeg nearest you with your foot so the axle stands are under the footpegs and the rear wheel is just off the ground.

when ordering a shock especially from Nitron let them know its for road use and not race or it will end up rattling your teeth out. road and race have different valving inside the shock and different spring rates.

NEVER EVER BUY PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS front or rear.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 02:23 PM   #7
GSX1400

Righto - thanks for all replies so far.

Had a quiet couple of hours. Side panels off. It’s possible (just) to access top mounting bolts with a socket by threading it through the various wiring and fixings. Both sides are just accessible. Not good but, certainly not impossible.

I’m gonna go down the ABBA route as the SV is a keeper. Very long term. So I’d like to be able to strip and lube linkages now and again.

Am I right in thinking. Use the ABBA stand. Once rear wheel is off ground put a block of wood under tyre to maintain position shock settles in? And swap shock. I’ll grease up all when I’m in there too. I don’t have any pegs fitted as my missus point blank refuses to go on pillion! It’s just for me bike. Hence why I love riding it so much. I’ve fitted mono shocks before but, bike had a centre stand.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and torque settings. I’ll crack on soon as the thing arrives. And I’m gonna get shock set up for solo road use.
Old 28-06-20, 02:50 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

a little heads up. if you get the ABBA swingarm removal bobbins you can leave them permanently connected to the upper footrest bracket. this stops you having to remove the plastic covers to get at the swingarm axle.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 08:05 AM   #9
GSX1400

Thank you. I’ll bear this in mind. Only done a shock change on a mono shock bike before and it was a FSZ600, relatively easy. First bike I’ve owned with no centrestand. I’d do use a paddock stand whenever bike is sitting in the garage though.