SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-20, 06:08 PM   #1
guitar-adam

Default AL8 35kW restrictor?

Hey all,
I picked up a 2018 SV650 last week - I thought it seemed a bit low on power compared to other 600s I've ridden in the past but figured it's just how the SV is. While giving it a good clean this week, I found there's a sticker on the frame saying it's got a 35kW ECM fitted.

So my couple of questions are - since the restriction wasn't mentioned in the dealer advert, I'm pretty sure I'm within my rights to return the bike if they can't provide me with a de-restricted ECM? How easy it is to get an un-restricted ECM privately if the dealer are difficult about it?

Cheers,
Adam
guitar-adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-20, 06:44 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL8 35kW restrictor?

If they didn't tell you it was restricted ( they may not have known, but pretty lax if they didn't ) you have every right to send it back or ask them to de-restrict it.

Having bought from a dealer you have full rights, you can reject within 30 days for full refund, and any problem you get within 6 months is deemed in law to have been present when they sold it to you.

https://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/122530/17/683/d

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-20, 08:24 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

depends on how much you paid... top book then yes get them to fix it. bottom book fix it yourself.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-20, 09:52 PM   #4
guitar-adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
depends on how much you paid... top book then yes get them to fix it. bottom book fix it yourself.

I have no idea about how to fix it myself. Back in '06 I had a GSR600 and de-restricting that was just a case of swapping the ECU. If it's the same on the SV then I'm happy to do it if they send me an ECU. If it's more involved then I'm bloody clueless!!

I'd prefer to not take it back to the dealer as it's a 200 mile round trip, for them to do the 5 minute job...
Old 19-06-20, 09:54 PM   #5
guitar-adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
If they didn't tell you it was restricted ( they may not have known, but pretty lax if they didn't ) you have every right to send it back or ask them to de-restrict it.

Having bought from a dealer you have full rights, you can reject within 30 days for full refund, and any problem you get within 6 months is deemed in law to have been present when they sold it to you.

https://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/122530/17/683/d
Thanks for the info! It wasn't mentioned in the online advert nor in any paperwork I have. We'll have to see what they plan on doing about it - I'd rather not return it as I like the bike, I just want the full power!!
Old 20-06-20, 07:06 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

As far as I can see they didn't disclose that it was restricted when they advertised and sold it - and a dealer cannot claim 'sold as seen' like a private seller or auction house can ( which is why you really have no rights in private / auction sale ). They are deffo responsible for putting the problem right as it makes the bike non-standard, and arguably not fit for your purpose. In any case the restriction is not at all obvious like bald tyres or ripped seat would be.

Ask them nicely to start with as they may well not have been aware of restriction, but follow up any phone calls with a letter ( recorded delivery ) or at least an email so that you and dealer have a record of what was discussed / agreed. If it gets sticky you need a paper trail to show the date you told them you were not satisfied with the bike. Some less than honest dealers will string you out over the 30 days and then say 'phone calls, what phone calls'..... and apart from your phone record showing that you rang their number there is no record of what was actually said. 'a verbal message ain't worth the paper its written on'...

If you paid for motorbike with credit card you have extra protection because the actual transaction is between dealer and credit card company ( you just pay the bill ), and credit card companies carry a lot of clout when it comes to sorting things out, in the past I have repeatedly phoned companies with no result, one call to credit card company and the problem sorted or money back in account within a week....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-06-20 at 07:15 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-20, 11:53 AM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

Each time this comes up I try and figure out how to tell if the ECU is a restricted type but the information is conflicting. If you try and order a new ECU you have to supply a copy of the V5. https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...abs/electrical

I would take the numbers off the ECU and contact Suzuki GB.

I did find this:
"The laws surrounding A2 restrictions are often misunderstood.
There is no legal requirement to have a certificate or documentation to say that the bike has been restricted."

(from here: https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/a2-...indepth-guide/)

This seems stupid imho.
Old 20-06-20, 08:13 PM   #8
guitar-adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Each time this comes up I try and figure out how to tell if the ECU is a restricted type but the information is conflicting. If you try and order a new ECU you have to supply a copy of the V5. https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...abs/electrical

I would take the numbers off the ECU and contact Suzuki GB.

I did find this:
"The laws surrounding A2 restrictions are often misunderstood.
There is no legal requirement to have a certificate or documentation to say that the bike has been restricted."

(from here: https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/a2-...indepth-guide/)

This seems stupid imho.

I based my guess that it is restricted on 3 things:
1 - it feels significantly slower and low on power compared to any unrestricted 600 I've ever ridden. and about the same as the restricted GSR600 I owned in the mid-2000s
2 - the numbers on the ECU are consistent with other people who have had restricted SV650s
3 - there's a sticker on the frame telling me it has the 35kW ECM fitted.

It's mental that there's no paperwork requirement for a restriction, but since i found the label on the frame, the dealer should've seen it.

I've contacted the dealer and they want me to phone back on Monday so they can get in touch with Suzuki directly and get things sorted while I'm on hold.

I'm not going to pay a penny for the unrestricted ECU - if the dealer tries to charge me, I'll just threaten to return the bike for a refund.
Old 20-06-20, 08:23 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Id Email the dealer to confirm you have informed them officially. Phone calls are deniable.Then just get them to sort it including any transport issues
Old 21-06-20, 09:43 AM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-adam View Post
......It's mental that there's no paperwork requirement for a restriction, ......
It really comes down to how our laws are written and which apply. The aftermarket restricted thing is really down to our driving license laws, and these require you to ride "in accordance with" your license T&Cs, but there is no specific requirement nor methodology for demonstrating that you are riding "in accordance with".
A bike coming out of a factory will have a "type approval" or homologation document (certificate of conformity etc) and will state its power, which will usually be adequate to demonstrate compliance with your license in any legal scenario, but aftermarket stuff is a different ballgame. Some countries use more regulated systems (Germany/TUV etc), but here we are rather vague. You could take a factory compliant bike and modify it to give more power, when it would potentially mean you are not riding in accordance with your license any more even though the V5C would indicate you were.
Aftermarket stuff (restrictors etc) can be "type approved" where appropriate, and this should usually be enough to demonstrate a given standard, but our licensing laws do not require any such documentation, it's just up to you to comply with the license terms.
Insurance companies can request documentation, but there is no official standard for such paperwork. A dealer can give you a written "statement", but it is not a "certificate" because no-one is actually authorised to "certify" anything, there is no such system. Even a dealer statement only applies to the moment it is given, you could remove the device the next day. You would still have the statement but you would not be riding in accordance with your license, it's your responsibility not the dealer's.
If laws are wanting, blame the politicians, they write them. I think they deliberately leave this one alone because it's a can of worms. Easier to simply leave everyone to muddle through and deal with problems as and when they arise (in court for example).