SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 21-01-19, 10:02 PM   #5961
yokohama

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Johnny, I think I'll pass on the turntable. Not looking to spend so much, I'd want to play 45s and taking off the platter to change speed would irritate the eff out of me. I've already discounted Projects for that reason - oh, and because their tracking and anti-skate is controlled by what looks like a piece of 18th century fishing tackle.
Seems like you've got lots of good reasons to keep it, especially if it sounds good.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-19, 09:39 AM   #5962
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

No worries. It is indeed basic - you balance the tone arm yourself when you have moved the unit, for example. Since we have started delving into the stupid world of streaming music we've finally moved a few things around that were just plonked in place when we moved in 9 years ago, and we're playing a lot more music than we used to.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-19, 10:23 PM   #5963
Kenzie

Grrr, pulled a part used roll of HP5 out of the mju before selling it and now I can't get the leader out of the can. 12 shots in, don't want to waste 24!
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 07:07 PM   #5964
yokohama

Talking of film - I picked up a roll of Kosmo photo film today at WYC. Seems it's from the Fomapan factory. I've never used it before so I thought I'd give it a go. There was a minty black Canon FTb in stock but before it could seduce me, I looked into its soul and saw only a ground glass microprism viewfinder. Phew! lucky escape.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 07:53 PM   #5965
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'm probably going to bid on this 223329968277 as it looks lovely, the meter works but am waiting for a reply on what it means by "not shuttering fully".
Old 25-01-19, 08:05 PM   #5966
Kenzie

I believe its Fomapan 100, I was a bit disappointed but its got a nice box. Cool looking camera Johnny, I've stayed relatively restrained but I did buy a Lynx 5000 in need of repair. Shutter is laggy but the aperture has jumped off the guide and will need a full strip down. FM light seals arrived today as well. Finally bringing my camper van home tomorrow.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Old 25-01-19, 08:12 PM   #5967
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

The lynx has the same aperture blades as the Konica I think, which have the pivots stamped from the thin metal sheet like dimples, and two of them shearing off was the original problem I had with it, you can only replace them. Later shutters of the same type e.g. Canonets had holes punched in them and pegs as pivots just like the shutter blades do, so better and not interchangeable with the earlier ones.
Old 25-01-19, 08:37 PM   #5968
Kenzie

Well there is another lynx 5000 listed as spares, shutter stuck but blades are good. Watching Grand Tour and they are doing wildlife photography....in jeeps

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kenzie; 25-01-19 at 08:40 PM.
Old 25-01-19, 09:48 PM   #5969
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Dunno if you've delved into a Copal shutter but they're the work of the devil. It's doable but it's hard to know what you're meant to take off in what order, and there seem to be loads of bits. Probably worth a look, these things are a mystery until you get your hands on them.
Old 25-01-19, 09:56 PM   #5970
Kenzie

You should try delving into the witchcraft that is the shutter of a Fujica Auto M! Never did get that one back together. The 5000 is pretty clean, just screwed up inside.